• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

04 rx1 mountain Steering post slop and riser options

Sled Dog

Lifetime Member
I am going to do my donuts right away and I want to get rid of some slop in the steering and raise the bars a bit as well. What is the options for the steering post bushings and how tall a riser can I go without changing cables?

On my 05RX Mtn I was using a ROX Adjustable riser 5-7"
Then I went with the wildchild rider fwd kit + the adjustable. Never an issue with cables.

I have the OFT steering block for my phazer and it works great, very well built kit.

Sled dog,

If you have are 6 inches tall bars you can only raise the bars about one inch without changing cables. On the womans 03 I put a two inch on and still had to change the throttle cable. Her stock handle bars are 6 inches. I tryed everything to make it work because we left for a trip and it worked well untill I went to turn them. I never tryed one inch block but two inch will not work. I can not comment on the bushings as I have no experience with them. Good luck.

I have the OFT steering block from pro116 and next to new used bushings coming so that should look after most of the slop. I was hoping I could raise the bars more than 2 inches with stock mountain cables.

I was hoping to raise them just 2 inches too. I did not do a good job testing it because when we pulled them off the trailer up north, it was not happy the first keep kicking in when I was warming them up to go ride. I brought the origanial risor but forgot the bolts so after my buddy and I worked on it for an hour trying to get the 2 inch to work we got some bolts off another sled and put the origanal one back on. We got home and got an 05 mountain cable and the two inch block worked.

I can not say with 100% fact if it would be but everybody on here says if they are changing the risor anything over 2 inch use a 05 cable. The regular 03 bars have a 4 inch ride but the mountains have 6 inch ride, so the cables are more than likely the same but the mountains have taller bars so you lose the extra slack in the cable. Sorry for the bad news but if you are wanting to go over a one inch risor you are more than likely going to need a throttle cable. Hope this helps.

The way rock told me how to mesure for a risor is stand on your sled with your knees slightly bent. Pretend you grab your bars comfortably mesure the distance between your hands and the bars. That is the total distance of risor

On my 03 rx1 (121 inch) I have 8 inches, great for standing but about 2 inches to high. For sitting. I can put a set of apex bars on mine if it gets to me but it does not ibother me to bad yet. I am only 5'10" I would rather be comfortable standing
the woman sled is the mountain with a two inch risor she is very happy with it. She is 5'1". I sure if she was not happy with it she would let me KNOW LOL. As for how tall you should make it if you like to.stand I would guess about 7-8 . Do the test as discribed in the front of the post. Mine you if you go 8 you will have to do the choke and throttle cables everything else can be rerouted. 7 or shorter will be least hassel because 8 is border line right on the wires.

My Kids 04 RXm ,
I used a 2" Powermad block w/ 1 1/2'' Piviot adapter . The bars R now 11"
above top of gas cap. Had to use 05 RXM cable & just reposition Pbrake cable & Brake hose.. Those are about maxed....IMOP

Apex seat ( friggin sweet he sayz )
Jr is about 6'1" or 2"
I am 6" and my arms R parallel to bars & bent comfy at elbows when sittin.

Well I installed the Oft block I only had one on the top and newer used in perfect shape plastic bushings and man did it tighten up a lot of the slop. Thanks everyone for the help.

Back