• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 RX-1 First Ride Review & Questions

mdkuni

TY 4 Stroke Guru
I got my 05 RX-1 ER back from the dealer this weekend. I sold my 2002 Viper back in October (that was one of the hardest things to do) and picked this sled up shortly after.
She has 2580 miles
Belly pan protector (although it is off in the pic)
Shock covers
It did have mirrors, but I removed those.
The only thing I really plan on doing is adding a low black windshield.

Friday night I headed further north to take her for a test run. There were about 7 other guys already there. From the second I turned the key, you can tell she is a whole different animal.

The weight thing that people talked and talked about, well, what weight thing? This sled feels as light as my Viper if not lighter. The transfer is insane! All I have to do is think about giving it some gas and she is already taking off.

The throttle response is incredible and the torque is amazing! In the blink of an eye the speedo was saying 103. I could not believe how the sled pulls all the way through the RPM'S.

The guy that owned the sled before me was in the 225+ range if I remember correctly, so the rear shock was at 7 and the limiter straps were pulled in two holes. I let out the straps one hole and left the shock alone. I weigh in somewhere around 175 with gear. The suspension felt awesome, but obviously there were not really any big bumps or anything like that. A couple side mounds the provided some decent air though, and she lands light!

I have to say the engine breaking was very very different. I was a little uneasy with it at first, but man by the time I was heading in for the night I loved it! I barely use the brake anymore and I can just fly on this sled.

I love everything about this sled can you tell? I can't wait to put some high miles on and see the gas an oil savings to! Yamaha's are the best! :yam: :4STroke:

Questions:

The sled has 144 studs up the middle (See the picture below, does anyone know what kind of studs those are?) and the sled did not hook up as well as I expected. I talked to my dealer about it and I was thinking the same thing but they said that it could possibly be due to the fact that the rear shock is cranked so high for my weight. Has anyone had any experience with this? It seems like it should do the trick. Any suggestions on what number to put it at? I changed it to 5 today but did not get to ride. I like to ride hard through the smooth and rough stuff and really do not want to bottom out with 144 studs.

Anyone have any trouble with the weight transfer rod and the rear shock adjuster sticking badly? I could not get either of them to budge until I tipped the sled on the side and pounded with a screwdriver and a hammer, then finally they broke loose. The shock is still pretty darn stiff (more then usual).

Changed the chain case oil. I used the full 8oz Yamaha chain case bottle. Is this how much most of you are using?

Last but not least with the RA adjuster they say 20 clicks of adjustment so should the adjuster make two complete turns?

A big thanks to everyone at TY, I have learned more then I could ever imagine from this site! :rocks:

Attachments

• 2005 RX-1 ER pic2.JPG
    2005 RX-1 ER pic2.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 156
  • 2005 RX-1 ER pic3.jpg
    2005 RX-1 ER pic3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 2005 RX-1 ER.JPG
    2005 RX-1 ER.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 150

Regarding hook-up, I would guess that it was a problem because there was no hard base for the studs to sink into. I have 96 studs on my 05 in the same pattern, and hook-up has never been a problem.

Regarding the suspension dial, the best thing to do is set it on the softest setting you can until it bottoms out, then turn it one click harder. For my 185 pound body without gear, this is 3 clicks from the softest, but you should experiment and see what works best.

Do you really think not having a base would have that much to do with it? What I mean is, I understand you need the base there to really dig in and all, but I am talking that the track was spinning when I was on the trail even if I put it in reverse to go and turn around. It would just spin and I would have a hard time backing up. I would have to kind of jump on the rear to get the track to dig in. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Yes man!!! They are SO sweet!! I own a OLD Heavy SLow 2003!! And just love it over any sled i have owned!! 97SX700,99SRX,2000T-cat,2003F7.

Skydog P.S. The motor is just so sweet and smooth great on fuel,no smoke! Turn key and roll with some BOOOST!!!

mdkuni said:
Do you really think not having a base would have that much to do with it? What I mean is, I understand you need the base there to really dig in and all, but I am talking that the track was spinning when I was on the trail even if I put it in reverse to go and turn around. It would just spin and I would have a hard time backing up. I would have to kind of jump on the rear to get the track to dig in. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
definatly the new snow thing. once there's a base established with 144 she should hook-up great. i'm running with 96 and don't have a traction problem unless it's ice and you'll never get a long enough stud in there with a 1.25 paddle. if it's your first rx you'll love it, i know i love the ride of mine after i got comfy on it.

I agree with 700Scott that you shouldn't be having a traction problem with 144 studs. I do think it was the lack of a solid base. Question: Were your riding buddies also having a traction problem? Were their sleds also studded?

Maybe the limiter straps are set with too much weight on the skis and not enough distributed to the track. The Suspension Oracle (LazyBastard) is probably the best guy to advise you on limiter strap settings.

Are your studs actually higher than the lugs of your track. To me, it looks like they are a bit shorter, but it could be just the angle at which the picture was taken.

Swiss Sledder said:
I agree with 700Scott that you shouldn't be having a traction problem with 144 studs. I do think it was the lack of a solid base. Question: Were your riding buddies also having a traction problem? Were their sleds also studded?

Maybe the limiter straps are set with too much weight on the skis and not enough distributed to the track. The Suspension Oracle (LazyBastard) is probably the best guy to advise you on limiter strap settings.

I will probably drop the straps one more hole, I set the rear shock to 5 and I will go from there. I did not ask anyone else about the traction though..

Grimm said:
Are your studs actually higher than the lugs of your track. To me, it looks like they are a bit shorter, but it could be just the angle at which the picture was taken.

Actually I believe the guy I bought it from said he changed his studs after he nicked the exhaust protectors to 1" I will have to measure them. They are still enough to rip my trailer up though. I have got to get those mats installed. Anyone else run this stud length?

Thanks everyone for you help. Still have a couple questions unanswered. Any ideas?

Anyone have any trouble with the weight transfer rod and the rear shock adjuster sticking badly? I could not get either of them to budge until I tipped the sled on the side and pounded with a screwdriver and a hammer, then finally they broke loose. The shock is still pretty darn stiff (more then usual).

Changed the chain case oil. I used the full 8oz Yamaha chain case bottle. Is this how much most of you are using?

chain case oil by the book takes 8.5 oz. as far as the transfer rod if you use the wrench and torque the crap out of it you'll have a hell of a time loosening it again, i go hand tight and have had no problem with it loosening on me. the shock shouldn't be bad at all to adjust if you take the load off of it by having someone lift up on the back of the machine to take the spring preload off. hope this helps

05 RX-1 questions

Hi Mark, I think the problem with your transfer lies in the limiter strap settings.. Put them back to where they were stock. Adjust you transfer rods for maximum transfer, put you shock on the softest setting, and turn your clicker dial to the softest setting. I weigh the same as you and for the best ride this is where I have it set. As the trails get rougher and you start to bottom, just crank up the clicker dial near your foot.
If you only drained the chain case and never disassembled it, 8 oz. should be fine. However, if ever in doubt, just put the oil level between the arrows on the dipstick.
By the look of your studs, they appear to be carbide. They are good for trail riding and last forever, but only grab from 30mph and up. If you'll be doing and dead stop racing, or any racing on ice, it's hard to beat the traction of steel.

My tranfer rod was stock really hard too the day I bought the sled brand new! One of the Sumo Wrestlers who assemble the sleds probably did it and put red loctite on it while he was at it like the rest of the whole damn sled!!

As you loosen those limiter straps you will start to get some inside ski lift in corners. There really isn't any need to loosen them, just put more transfer into the rod and it should hook right up.

Thanks for all the info. I rode Saturday and did not make any changes until Sunday after it started raining :cry: I adjusted the transfer rod to almost max transfer. Do I have to worry about my W-Arm breaking at this setting? I also put the limiter straps back to stock settings. I will try these settings and go from there.

Back