• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 Rx-1 Rear suspension removal, tips tricks??

shanksRX-1

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 Apex
Im taking my rear suspension out of my 05 rx-1 for the first time. Im replacing the front arm with the updated 07 arm. Hopefully it will hold up better. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks or any info that I should know before starting. Its the monoshock ra with the adjuster on the left side of the tunnel.

Thanks in advance!!!

:rocks: :rocks:

Attachments

• questionclutch.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 165

easy

Shanks,

Hang the rear, slack the tension on the track take out the four bolts done. Super easy to take out, not sure on going back in. Inspect your rails for cracks, I'm adding the reinforcement kit while my skid is out and I found cracks in one of the rails, common on the 05s, trying to get Yamaha to replace under good faith. Also check the 2 inner idler wheels, mine were both gone.

easy

oh yeah don't forget the RA, i took out the three allen head screws on the side of the tunnel and everything drops out with the skid. check the cable, i had the update done on mine and once again the cable was toast great concept just doesn't hold up to the ica and snow.

Re: easy

twiz28 said:
Shanks,

Hang the rear, slack the tension on the track take out the four bolts done. Super easy to take out, not sure on going back in. Inspect your rails for cracks, I'm adding the reinforcement kit while my skid is out and I found cracks in one of the rails, common on the 05s, trying to get Yamaha to replace under good faith. Also check the 2 inner idler wheels, mine were both gone.

Oh ya, My inner idlers are both gone. I ordered them last week. They should be in soon. What do I have to disconnect to get the cable from the adjuster to the shock off??? Also how are you doing getting yamaha to replace all this junk in these 05 suspensions. I was told if I had purchased the extra warranty it would be possible for them to cover it but since I didnt get the warranty Im on my own. I did find the front arm for $185.00 + shipping. Thats the cheapest I could find it, at a dealer in Arizona... It baffels me that I can order snowmobile parts out of arizona and have them shipped to NY and save $75 over the next cheapest dealer in my area... These dealers are making a killing off us.

Thanks for the info!!

Thanks alot for the info guys... Sounds pretty basic I just wanna make sure I dont have to replace that cable again, since I have done it allready. Seams like yamaha should have recalled these 05 sleds and replaced all these chincy suspension parts since they updated them all in the 06 and 07 sleds. We paid just about as much for our sleds we should get some decent parts. Especially since yamaha has updated these parts thats simply saying they admit the old parts are not strong enough or they wouldnt have updated the new ones...

exactly

thats my argument with yamaha customer service, they updated the cable already thus admitting a problem in my mind they should replace it again. same for the rails they come out with a reinforcement kit which I purchased they should at least send me another rail to replace my cracked one, I don't abuse my sled and these cracks are common, the newer rails are stronger, we shouldn't suffer they should own up and just supply those of us with legit failures with new upgraded parts. wow my dealer just called and customer service called him and they want me to bring my sled in tomorrow because the warranty guy is on the road and will be at my dealer tomorrow morning and wants to see it. problem is sled is in pieces on my garage floor, guess I'll bring him the skid and hope thats enough.

Soon as stock suspension is removed place it in the trash can to avoid expensive repairs and back pain every season. hehe. There are used supension all over ebay for $250 + that permanetly solve those probs and contain inexpensive replacement parts unlike the very expensive skid parts available for RX1s

RA

Shanks,

You can remove the cable by sliding the rubber boot from either end then unscrew the fitting at the cable end that threads onto the shock. There is a procedure for reassemble to ensure your clicker is in sync with the dial, I believe you need too insert a small screw driver in the shock where the cable goes in and turn all the way in one direction and turn your dial all the way in the opposite before inserting the cable. Someone can confirm or just do a search it should be on here somewhere.

Thanks for all the help guys... I looked over the step by step directions it looks quite basic. Im on my way out to the garrage to start taking it apart....

I got the skid out. Not a bad job at all. The cable and the RA dial fell out right at the shock but I had it turned all the way to hard so as long as I dont touch either of them I should be able to just put it back in when I put the skid back in. I dont see any cracks in the rails. Where is everyone finding cracks in them... I will look the entire thing over better tomorrow when the ice is all melted off

Thanks for the help!!

cracks

my cracks were in front of the rubber bumper about the middle of the rail, a hairline crack from the top working almost straight down to the bottom. I met with the yamaha canada service guy this morning and they are going to good faith me a new rail and a RA cable, did you have the update done on your cable It shouldn't just fall out, mine just had the inner cable no jacket at all was left inside the rubber boot.

they were supposed to do the update last year. I took it in to have it done and they said it was done. My cable is inside a plastic tube with another larger rubber cover over them.... I will get a good look at my rails and see if there is any cracks....

Back