• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 rx-1 suspension

rx1racer

While the other work was being done on my sled I pulled the skid to check it out.The machine is stock and has 1400 easy trail driven miles.All bushings are toast and one of the bearings on the idler wheel is gone.On my previous 2 Yamahas with 5 years and `14000kms of driving I never had to replace a single suspension component ......maybe that was because I used the grease nipples on them ...something which Yamaha engineers neglected to put on the 05 skid.I have sent the suspension to a machine shop to have realistic bushings and spacers made and to have grease fittings installed....but am dissappointed that Yamaha would sell a 15000$ sled with suspension components that you would expect to see in a kids tricycle.The moral of this is that owners of all 05 sled should keep a very close eye on there skids and be prepared to replace bushings every 1000 miles unless you upgrade and install grease fittings.

Let us know next season after riding how your fix went. I don't have an '05, but I am interested in what folks do to improve that suspension.

rx1racer, I'm thinking about picking-up a used 05, and would be interested to know how much your upgrade to the skid is going to cost you? Thanks!

I just pulled my sked and checked it out.

I have orderd $ 178 in parts.

All the bushing needed replacing and a few other parts like one boggy wheel and the boot on the AR cable.

All the bearings in the wheels were dry. So I cleaned and regreased them.
They looked like they never had any grease in them???

Looks like its going to be an annual maintenance procedure.

impalapower said:
Let us know next season after riding how your fix went. I don't have an '05, but I am interested in what folks do to improve that suspension.

Look at what you just said! Yamaha should be fixing this problem period. We are talking about 05 sleds here not 1995.

Yamaha won't fix ours under warranty because they say me have to many miles on them. We should consider it wear items. BS big time. Poo here we come!!

After what I went through yesterday, Now I'm not too sure about the mono-shock either :(

Sounds to me like that's an '07 or '08 production modification in the works.

I was having a discussion on that subject with my ridding buddy (master mecanic for BRP (skidoo) and they use oilite brass bushings on the revs or mack z and they have grease fittings so they don't seem to wear near as fast.I will be following my Apex GT very , very closely...

Riding since 1967 and still going full throttle.....!

They have already changed some of the bearing materials (replacements)for the 05s and I believe thay have added grease fittings on the 06 :ORC

Grease to slow bushing wear! What a thought, I cant believe they did not put zerts in. lol
You mean to preserve the life of metal to metal surfaces all you have to do is grease them. Yamahahahahahaha

Have not pulled mine down yet...but I expect some maintence. I have 2800 miles on the 05 skid. I plan on doing what rx1racer is doing. I have a good friend that has a machine shop and can do just about anything. I knew this was going to be an isue...but in reality it's pretty minor and the cost should be minimal to make a few decent bushings, a few drilled holes and some zerks. No biggie :Rockon:

I dont think the zerts are going to help the bushings much. The bushings that wore on mine were the front pivot (w-arm) Maybe the lowers could be helped with a zert but there is nothing to hold grease in the front where the bolt goes through. Better bushing should do the trick though. My boot is still good but the cable pulled out of adjuster end. I just shoved it back in at least for now. I have a little over 2k on the skid but needed bushings at around 1k. Expensive suck-pill but I finnally feel good on the sled. I love that catwalking :Rockon: :shock: So much Transfer It tranfered me to the ground a couple nights ago! :ORC

You folks may want to inspect your slide rails very closely. I was out yesterday giving the sled a bath when I noticed one of the mid inside idlers was missing. Not only was the wheel missing but the post that bolts to the rail had broken away taking a big chunk of my slide rail wth it. I then checked the other side and could see stress cracks where that one was ready to break away as well.
I am waiting for a cable, had 3 idlers replaced, bushings done, pivot arm welded while I wait for a new one, and now need new slide rails. All in 3900 miles! My 98 XTC with 12000 and my srx with 7000 never needed this much attention.

I was our riding and noticed that I felt like I had no suspension- I discovered a broken front "w" arm. Took it into the closest dealer-REV IT UP Sports in Rangely, ME- great people!- he had no part but said he'd weld it so I could get it home. He tok the skid out to weld it- front bushings junk- idler wheels gone- cut cable on my RA adjuster-and the "w" arm had 4 broken welds and a broken arm. Will be taking it in to my delaer this week.

Needless to say I was not happy when I found that out.

Back