• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'05 Vector Blown Valve Cover Gasket.

vector j

I have an 05 vector rs. During my last trip to tug hill i stopped for a break 80mi into the ride. After I stopped, upon restarting, heard a loud backfire like sound and steam came out from under the hood. Upon further inspection I found that one of the tabs from the valve cover gasket popped out and steam/coolant was spraying out (explains the noise). Reservoir level was ok, oil ok, no warning lights came on (whole way back to the trailer). Rode back slowly (20mph) to trailer (approx 5 miles). In that trip the other 3 tabs popped out on the valve cover gasket. Also noticed a loud rattling sound if i grabbed a lot of throttle at once, i did not get the noise if i eased into the throttle (hence why i decided to limp it back at 20mph). Could this be the chain tensioner? I hear they fail alot on the '05. Still doesn't explain the valve cover gasket. Once I got the machine home I went to unload it and bring it into the garage. when i started it the oil light came on this time when i looked i could not find any puddle of oil on the trailer which makes me slightly less worried.

Oh yeah, just got the machine back from the dealership. They had to pull the engine out to replace the starter motor (it stopped engaging all the time last year within a week of buying the sled used so they covered it but due to the dealer's distance from home i could not get it done until this year so the 90day warranty is up)...could they have done something to cause this (can't think of anything+this happened 200+miles after getting it back)?

has anybody had experience with this before?
Any ideas? the only thing i could think of is some kind of blockage in the cooling system causing the pressure and the blow but without understanding what's under that cover I really have no clue.

don't worry, this has not discouraged me at all about yamaha's reliability, the Cat ZL 600 Stupid Suspension i had before this was the biggest POS, don't even get me started on that thing...haha.
javascript:emoticon(':yam:')

sorry about the lack of pics, i will try to get some up soon...

thanks and happy trails,
jeff

THE ANSWER IS: I just got the vector back from the Yamaha dealership (Dutchess Recreational Vehicle in Poughkeepsie NY) What happened was the vector was transported in an open trailer to Tug Hill. It rained for a good part of the trip. As a result alot of water got in the airbox. When we arrived late at the motel in Tug Hill the water froze in the airbox blocking off the vent lines to the crankcase. After riding for a while the next day the oil pressure built up under the valve cover and blew the gasket. The airbox was dried out, gasket replaced, plugs replaced (fouled with oil) and oil topped off. The drain hoses were inspected (ok) a leak down test performed (ok) the check valve in the oil tank checked (ok). After runnig the sled the problem could not be duplicated. The "rattle" was the clutch and not the cam chain tensioner. The moral of the story transport the sled in an enclosed trailer or at least covered on an open trailer.

Don't like being the bad guy but i have problems to swallow all this.
For one, water does not get into airbox while on trailer & engine off no matter how hard it rain. Two, vent from crank build no substantial pressure. Being the case, the wimpy clamp would not hold... and believe me, this hose goes away so the motor goes. (you talk of the hose that connect at bottom of airbox..right ?)
Would have bought the accumulation of fuel during your stop due to a little leak of float valve. At start, she dumped & backfired with open exhaust valve then poped your gasket.

aVenture said:
Don't like being the bad guy but i have problems to swallow all this.
For one, water does not get into airbox while on trailer & engine off no matter how hard it rain. Two, vent from crank build no substantial pressure. Being the case, the wimpy clamp would not hold... and believe me, this hose goes away so the motor goes. (you talk of the hose that connect at bottom of airbox..right ?)
Would have bought the accumulation of fuel during your stop due to a little leak of float valve. At start, she dumped & backfired with open exhaust valve then poped your gasket.

big X2

Yeah, rainwater cannot enter the air box unless the sled was submerged in it. Interesting that you had just gotten the sled back after the engine was pulled and had the problem.

twomorestrokes said:
Yeah, rainwater cannot enter the air box unless the sled was submerged in it. Interesting that you had just gotten the sled back after the engine was pulled and had the problem.

Bigger X2!!!

You should not have gotten any coolant or steam coming out of that hole where the tab was when it blew unless there was a coolant leak into the inside of the valve cover. There should only be oil inside that cover. The tab is supposed to blow if crankcase pressue gets too high from either oil not being able to return to the tank or crankcase or a coolant leak. I hope you changed the oil and used only the factory recommended 0W-30. If there was coolant/steam coming out, then your oil was contaminated. Too thick of oil or too full of oil may cause it not to flow back to crankcase or tank properly and may cause the excess pressure. Also, it is my opinion that "E" on your dipstick means "enough" Be very careful to not overfill.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that. I was assuming that you maybe meant another gasket since there is no coolant under the valve cover?

I had the same issue and can not determine cause. Oil was changed prior to trip. Filled just below the f on dipstick, air box is clean, hoses connected to box, coolant full, compression even, I also had quite a bit of smoke that seem to come from cover as well. Was able to start it to get it on trailer and in garage. Didn't run it long enough to do any further diag. Any other ideas would be helpful.

I had the same issue and can not determine cause. Oil was changed prior to trip. Filled just below the f on dipstick, air box is clean, hoses connected to box, coolant full, compression even, I also had quite a bit of smoke that seem to come from cover as well. Was able to start it to get it on trailer and in garage. Didn't run it long enough to do any further diag. Any other ideas would be helpful.
Moisture in rollover valve, and froze.

Hi Nitro just started working on my sled. Where is this valve, what does it do and how would water get in?
Thanks for your response

Hi Nitro just started working on my sled. Where is this valve, what does it do and how would water get in?
Thanks for your response
Located on frame just above oil tank. Water doesn't get in it. Moisture develops on its own over time in certain conditions.

Thanks Nitro. Gives me a place to look!

Back