• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 apex gt starter making weird noise

I've got a weird noise when the starter is engaged that just started today. I rode it 2 days ago and did not hear this. Today there is a weird geary sound, almost like a bearing is bad sound as the starter is kicking the engine over. The engine sounds fine after it is started and I don't hear it any longer after the engine is started. I can also hear a bit of the sound when turning the engine off.

I took a look at the parts catalog, $350 for a starter!! Holy crap. I also saw there was a part called a starter clutch. Perhaps this is what I'm hearing go bad. Not sure. I know it's hard for anyone to know what I'm describing without actually hearing it, but does anything I'm describing sound familiar?

How big of a job is it to get the starter out or starter clutch out for testing or replacement?

Thanks for the help.

Time for a new starter it happen to my sled last year. The same song yours is making. I put one in made in china from royal distributing last year for 200.00 and it is still working. Check with Dennis Kirk I think they have the same starter.

STARTER

I found a Kimpex on Ebay for $134, seems pretty cheap when the oe is $350.

What does it take to change this starter out? How big of a job is it? Thanks.

That's all that needs to happen? I was looking in the maintenance manual, and it was making it seem like the oil would need to be dumped, oil tank would need to come out to get the stator cover off to gain access to the starter bolts. If it was just the air box and battery, i'd be a happier man. The oil and filter is basically new, so if I don't need to pull the filter or oil, that would be better........

starter

Good to know. That's a relief knowing I don't have to rip half the sled apart to change that starter out.

Now I just have to wait 2 weeks to get the starter from ShadeTreePowersports.
They failed to mention on the website that they don't have these in stock, and they have to submit a purchase order to the factory for them......... :die

I have the same problem. Do I run any risk of damaging my sled by driving with the starter issue. Besides be stranded of course.

As long as it is disengaging after starting the engine you will not cause any engine damage. However the more you use the starter in that condition the sooner it is going to fail completely. I wouldn't wait too long to replace it unless you are a gambler and like to walk!

Anyone know if the rx-1 or r1 motorcycle starters are the same as the apex starter?

R1
2866a5d8210b293991319aed81e045c1_zps98c012d1.jpg

RX1
4e6fd2f8d9df57a2b18829a2ad60a6a6_zps66ca28ad.jpg

Apex
79d553af80286dec083719531c76a512_zpse09055d1.jpg

My sled just started doing the exact same thing, only bad part is I just put a New Kimplex starter on it at start of this season......... Old starter had a dead spot.

My new starter only makes the sound when warm, cold starts its perfectly fine. It makes a sound like when a blower motor is going bad in an automobile.

Back