• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Apex MTN

edgerider

Veteran
I'm looking at one of these but the problem is I don't ride the mountains at all. I mostly ride in northern MN. Would this work for trail riding? What would I have to do to make it a trail machine? The price is right so that is why I'm thinking about it. Thanks for the help!

It would 'trail' just fine but will stear a little harder in the corners than a short track sled. If you don't see much powder, you might consider installing a lower profile, fully clipped, track on it to keep from roasting the hy-fax.

be sure to get a set of ice scratchers

just fine

I ride with trail riders and most of the time with my wife..scratchers and try not to spin the track..the ice will damage the track...and if the snow is not more than 3 inches of snow..lose on the trail..it feels like a set of truck tiers on your ..S.U.V.....lol....with huge treads..but you rip out of corners better than the other sleds.except on ice..but it will not get the top end unless you change the clutch..and gear teeth..then the track might grip too much ( paddles ) and the belt might slip..not enough torc...What is the speed limite...lol..I am happy with mine the way it is.goes like hell to 155...but change the clutch for sea level..or the limiter will come on when you reve too high..I am putting a stage 2 on mine..ask me in December how its on the trails...lol.. :-o
I ran extra wheels and found they wore out faster..with only one in the front and one under my a$$..seems to work the best..

Re: just fine

quebecmoutainrider said:
I ran extra wheels and found they wore out faster..with only one in the front and one under my a$$..seems to work the best..

Really? And I thought the best place to mount them was on each side of the skid.....

:-o ;):D

06 Apex

I bought new 08 MTX last winter. Before I even drove it I took a sawzall and cut track down to 1.25. Next put 22/38 gears, and the clutching of an LTX. Wound the rear spring to 70 degrees and hit the trail. WOW!! This is the best machine I've ever owned. The long track gives excellent ride and with gearing and clutching hit 126mph on teh lake. The only downfall is with the narrow frontend it is a little more tippy in the corners. If I can find used a-arms and shocks off an LTX or ER for the front, I may buy them to widen it. Hope this helps.

Back