• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Apex RTX - Opinions on best mods please!

zimmr6

Veteran
Hi everyone!

Can't wait for the snow to start flying in WI! I've decided that I'll be keeping my 06 Apex RTX for a few more years until after Yamaha makes their next update to the Apex. Wondering if you guys had opinions on the best upgrades to make with a $1000 budget - areas of high interest of course are around anything to help with increasing power(ram air, power commander, clutching, etc), improved handling (ski's, suspension/shocks, etc), or improved comfort (suspension, seat, remote start etc).

The sled is currently completely stock with the exception of the yamaheater hand warmers - that's it! So, fire away at your suggestions on what you would do if it were your sled, keeping in mind a medium to moderately aggressive riding style for a guy in his mid-30's (190lbs) who is starting to lean more towards comfort vs. speed. Also, I live fairly close to Hauck - so that may also factor into your opinions!

thanks guys!

Wow, that is a very wide range to stay in....lets see, the sledstart remote is great, HID lights really help. Ulmers clutch kit gives great bottom and midrange, but may hurt the top end a couple mph. Cobra track really hooks up on groomed packed snow trails, but also hurts top end a couple MPH. Ulmers front bushing kits really tightens up the a arms and ofts bushing kit really tightens up the steering post. If you are taller, a riser is nice...I like lake effects, with a ram mount GPS. A revalve on the rear shocks really can ride better, and keep the sled from bottoming. others will chime in with many opinions. Is there anything that has been a terrible issue for you????? I keep fighting hifax wear, so hopfully the new style hifax will be my answer this year.

Nothing significant, just minor annoyances. My hifax have held up well, so at least I don't have that issue - but a reason may be for where my weight is currently distributed (mostly on the front).

My sled darts terribly, so I'm thinking of the tuner ski's but am a little worried as my arms are sore as hell now given how heavy this bitch is to steer going through corners. (if i put the weight back, then it doesn't turn at all.)

if you put snow trackers on that sled it will feel more like power steering and absolutly no darting less cost to maintain then other options too when the carbide finialy wears out you replace only that part of the system. got 2700 miles on mine still sharp as new. be sure you look into the exhaust you could need to blow most of the budget there no mater what open it up and look at it all its not if but when will you have trouble.

Copper exhaust donuts if needed, check the shock and skid. Mine broke off last season had to get it re welded. The eye on the shock where the main bolt is on the shock studs wear at it so check that too would suck if it broke. Mine was pretty worn down getting that done at hygear now. Exhaust alone last year cost me 700 to fix with a stainless y pipe. I'm at 1000 so far this year already. Ulmer stage 2 clutch kit is really nice on bottom and mid range lost about 6mph top end. I hit 114 last year and see that most are getting to 120. But 114 is plenty fast and quarter mile is quick so I am really happy. it is an expensive sport foooor sure. Can't wait to try the new additions. Snow trackers are the best I had semi aggressive going with aggressive this year they work perfectly I just need a little more bite this year.

OFT Racing Steering Blocks, two on the steering column and one at the transfer shaft in front of the oil tank. It makes night and day difference and takes away sloppiness from the handlebars.
I have the OFT's in both my sleds what a difference over the Stock Yamaha Plastic steering Blocks.

What about the Bergstrom triple point skegs with the stock skies.
My 07 Attak doesn't have studs yet, so that's on my list of things to get along with rear cooler and ice scratchers. The sled only has 350mi on it so the shocks can wait till next year.

Thanks, Kevin.

Back