• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Apex vs. 09 Apex

ODogfromMA

Can someone tell me what the major differences are between the 06 and 09 Apex?

I'm looking at 2 used Apexs with similar mileage and wondering if it's worth spending the extra $ on the 09

Thanks in advance.

Owen

First off welcome to the site! Youll learn much here if you frequent. Always helps to add your location to your profile! (but just guessing you are from MA) :)
There were a lot of small updates between the two. If you buy the 06 you'll have to check the sled over much more than the 09. They are great sleds you just need to know what to look for. My 06 has had just minor problems that could be fixed realitivly easy if i just knew to look for them. The 06 radiators had really flimsy radiator mounts and will break off and youll poke a hole in it from the reverse linkage; they updated these every-other year and are now super beefy. If they both have the mono suspension you should look right above the rear mount of the shock in the rear suspension. This is known to wear on the track. I welded a piece of round stock to the skid to prevent this. I have heard that the handwarmers are about the same between the two aka suck in the cold. They both had the same track I do believe.
Do you know what models the both of them are and mileage and everyone will help out with what else to look for when buying!
Cheers and put some miles on!
Kyle

The W arm which holds your limiter strap was updated ,Pretty sure the drive shaft was updated. The hand warmers are the same,they suck. I'm pretty sure the entire skid was beefed up in 09. 06 has a bigger gas tank,by half a gallon.

Thanks for the responses. Both are GT models. I'm leaning towards the 06 anything else I should look for?

Owen

aceltx09 said:
The W arm which holds your limiter strap was updated ,Pretty sure the drive shaft was updated. The hand warmers are the same,they suck. I'm pretty sure the entire skid was beefed up in 09. 06 has a bigger gas tank,by half a gallon.

What year did them update W arm?

Just for reference, you can get the 06 rear suspension "beefed up" by a sponsor on this site for $205 so that it will be equivalent to the 09. So if the difference between the two sleds is more than that, and if the stronger rear suspension was the only real reason that you wanted the 09, I'd just save yourself the money and get the 2006. Also, it's not like these suspensions are just cracking randomly and on a constant basis for people. From what I hear you have to REALLY pound on the thing to have that happen.

OK, so I should look at the W-Arm (as long as i can find it). Can't say I know the suspension parts by name, other than 'shock':) :dunno:
Anything else? This sled has just under 2k mi.

ODogfromMA said:
OK, so I should look at the W-Arm (as long as i can find it). Can't say I know the suspension parts by name, other than 'shock':) :dunno:
Anything else? This sled has just under 2k mi.
Only 2k means the sled has been sitting for awhile. Check the bearings in the wheels on the rear suspension. The originals are non replaceable. If these are gone also check the shaft bearing as well.
Hyfax
Carbides
Chain tension
Change the oil
Just a few for a beginner.
Port Yamaha has a micro fiche link on their web site that you can look up all the parts.
Welcome to the expensive world of snowmobiling!!!!

Also i think their was a chain case update and maybe the pipes were updated to stainless steel. Im sure their was some sort of update on the tunnel ? & also a update on the snow flap. Rear shock was revalved in 08/09.

Back