• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Vector rattle in the tunnel

Budweiser

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
My 06 Vector GT has developed a rattle in the tunnel under the gas tank. It started last week, before I rode 1200 trouble free miles (Gaspe) and it makes the same exact noise. Hasn't gotten worse. You can hear it when the sled is idling. When revved up, it goes away. You can't hear it when riding. What do you think it is??

Thanks guys! :Rockon:

Could be the exhaust header gaskets. I had this same issue at the end of last season. The rattling noise from the loose exhaust clamps was most pronounced in the tunnel and only present at idle.

I managed to apply pressure to the clamps via the cut out in the front of the tunnel to isolate the noise (when pressure applied to clamp, rattle stopped).

When I took it apart I discoverd that the circular gasket between one of the exhaust headers and the 3-1 pipe had fallen apart.

A few others have posted on this issue also.

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. Do I have to remove seat and gas tank to get at all that??

I have noticed a similar rattle on my 06 RS Venture (8000 Km)...Seems to come and go. We have approx 3 weeks of riding left (maybe another 1500 Km)...is this a fix now or can it wait?).

In order to change the gaskets you do have to remove the seat and gas tank.

It's not too bad of a job. The hardest part for me was getting the fastners on the exhaust clamps loose due to corrosion. Used lots of penetrating oil.

Flipper said:
In order to change the gaskets you do have to remove the seat and gas tank.

It's not too bad of a job. The hardest part for me was getting the fastners on the exhaust clamps loose due to corrosion. Used lots of penetrating oil.

I just replaced mine due to the rattling, and I did not remove the gas tank, I merely moved it back some just to get access. You dont have to remove the side panels either, just the area near your feet (plastic) . I found that it worked best removing them with heat, I took a propane torch an heated them up and them came right off. It is also easiest if you remove them from the manifold side of the motor too, to get the new ones in.

Back