• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rattle in clutch?

If you can move the movable sheave part of the primary clutch sideways then all bushings inside the clutch and clutch cover is shot.

Sled Dog said:
Or it is loose on the crankshaft!

That is what I am thinking but going by other posts in here that is where the noise is coming from and it sounds like this slight play left and right is normal?

The sled has 2100 miles on it so I can't see the clutch bushings or anything else clutch related being shot already?

I will try and see if I can tighten up the clutch anymore on the crank shaft but I do know with this play in there the end of the crank shaft does have splines, it is not a tapered fit like my Polaris XLT.

The end of the crank shaft is a cone type tap like Yamaha have been running since the SRX440 came to the market in 1976. The GP440 was the last Yamaha sled with a splined crankshaft end, last model year 1978. There shall not be any sideplay to speak of, if the clutch is loose on the cone your sled will not take off when you give it throttle, the primary will spin on the cone until the something gives and blows up. Tork your primary clutch bolt to 120Nm the loosen the bolt and retork to 60Nm.

rxrider said:
The end of the crank shaft is a cone type tap like Yamaha have been running since the SRX440 came to the market in 1976. The GP440 was the last Yamaha sled with a splined crankshaft end, last model year 1978. There shall not be any sideplay to speak of, if the clutch is loose on the cone your sled will not take off when you give it throttle, the primary will spin on the cone until the something gives and blows up. Tork your primary clutch bolt to 120Nm the loosen the bolt and retork to 60Nm.

Not disagreeing with you(new to Yamaha sleds) but if the crank shaft end is tapered, what is stopping it from spinning completely around instead of just slight play left and right?

Definately a taper fit! There is no movement between the primary clutch and the crank. I know with my rx1 I have a bit of forward and backward play but I think that has to do with the reduction gears.

The primary clutch is tightened so hard on the cone that it cannot spin. It don't spin on my turbo sled, it puts out 330+ HP, if it had spun it would have exploded.

Could you record a vid of the play and post it or email it to me, rxrider@frisurf.no
It would be way easier for me to give you the correct answer :)

Hello guys !!!
You seems to had miss something about the 3 holers, yes there's a shaft between the end of the crankshaft and the clutch...

RSCRANK.jpg

The taper fit of the clutch is fit on this shaft (item 17) and this shaft have a splined fit with the crankshaft. This shaft is mounted inside the engine and is not visible...

Also yes, there is a movement in the splines between this shaft and the crankshaft that is easy to check by rotating back and forth the fixed sheave of the primary... Some engines have near no play (like my actual RsVenture 2007) and some have more like my old 2005.

From my experience, I am sure that this endplay have to do with the noise ( not the only thing, but contribute...) but this is not something that can't be changed anyway...

Alain :Rockon:

Thanks for the info Alain

This is a lot like what we have in the 4 holers, difference is that it's installed on the secondary shaft on the RX and Apex engines, and no splined connections.

Inside this part there's a rubber dampener whose job is to reduce the harmonics from the engine to the primary clutch.

rxrider said:
The primary clutch is tightened so hard on the cone that it cannot spin. It don't spin on my turbo sled, it puts out 330+ HP, if it had spun it would have exploded.

Could you record a vid of the play and post it or email it to me, rxrider@frisurf.no
It would be way easier for me to give you the correct answer :)

Just found this on Youtube, the noise is very similar but mine is not as loud as this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmiBGYab74g

That is what mine sounds like. Of course when you have the side panel off and it is in the garage the sound is going to be magnified. With the panels on and the sled on snow it isn't as bad.

Metallicat said:
That is what mine sounds like. Of course when you have the side panel off and it is in the garage the sound is going to be magnified. With the panels on and the sled on snow it isn't as bad.

I agree, I barely notice it above idle and I don't believe I heard it at all during my first 2 rides?

I had a carb problem this fall when I got the Vector out of storage. Because the engine wasn't running properly the clutch rattle seemed to be worse. Even when I brought it off from idle I could still here it. I cleaned and sync'd the carbs which smoothed out the engine and also greatly reduced the rattle. At an idle I'm still hearing what I would consider a normal clutch noise for these engines but it's no longer noticeable at higher RPM's.

Back