• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'06 Yamaha Questions Answered!!! (from Yamaha Canada)

RTX Meirda

TY 4 Stroke Master
Hey guys....I have been in contact with Chris Reid from Yamaha Canada and I have some confirmed answers to some questions that we have all been wondering...... I will post what I remember fromm the conversation.

They say the Ohlins electric shock will work in all of the Apex and Attak models. The guages are wired for the electric shock. The Attak will need a different calibration becuase of the 136" skid.(someone is working on a suggested calibration) The mountain sled has a different rear suspension..sorry guys!

Apex RTX and the ER rear mono-shock (KYB) are calibrated the same.

Ohlins EC rear shock vs. KYB rear monoshock- the spring rates are very similar......when the EC shock is set to the middle setting...it will perform similar to the KYB shock. The guage controls the compression dampening on the EC shock and there is an adjustment on the shock body for rebound dampening. The KYB shock is adjusted only for rebound dampening.

Venture's will have a closed window track again this year...maybe a change in 07.

Vectors and Ventures are getting new idler wheels with rubber around the outside to quiet the noisy tracks.

Seat storage cover....they are working on this now....looks like they are trying thin plastic covered with seat material. This cover will be attached by velcro and quarter turn fasteners like past years.

Fuel injection....the Barometric sensor will adjust fuel flow according to the altitude.

Seat foam.....looks like they are testing a seat foam that is 30% more dense than the pre production sleds.

Seat shape near the front is going to have less of a curve so there is less wrinkling after a ride.

Apex ER and Attak will get a small handlebar cover like the GT and RTX.

They are working on suspension settings for heavier and more aggressive riders and will be available through Yamaha Parts.

This is all that I know.....if you have some more questions....I will contact Chris and see if he can get more answers.

Thanks to the guys that brought up these questions....most of them were not mine. I just happened to be communicating with Chris and I thought I would share the info.

Ask him if they are going to strenghten the rear Mono skid and A arms???? Also what about hyfax wear? I seem to be seeing a lot faster wear with the mono than any of my previous sleds. My last set lasted me one day (250 miles) on hardpack groomed trails that had plenty of snow on them...just not a lot of loose stuff. They had been grommed and then it got cold and they were hard as a rock. Hyfax are not fun to do on that sled!

Ask about the smaller four-stroke sled for 07.Is it fan or water cooled?Touring or pure workhorse?

05 suspension defects

Most of you are aware of the issues with 05 RX-1 skids.I am presently upgrading mine to correct these known deficiencies.Thus far I have had 10 new bushings machined from a product called nylatrol(250cdn$) installed 10 grease fittings,welded in gussets for additional support as needed(about 10 in all),and then will sandblast, prime and paint this skid.Something else I have noticed is that in my 05 skid they used inferior quality bearings in the idler wheels,most of which need replacing allready.
I t looks as if this skid was constructed to require plenty of maintenance and consumable parts.......both of which benefit the dealers!!If you own an 05 be prepared for lots of maintenance and when you do have problems let Yamaha know this is not the quality of product we expect or will tolerate.I will be posting pics later of my upgrades for those who may be interested.I expect it will cost me 400cdn$ before I am done but at least I will have a reliable and much less high maintenance suspension.

The RTX and ER have the same rear shock :shock: :shock: Maybe a differant spring rate....You would think there would be something differant between the two..

JDKRXW said:
A good question to ask would be whether the 06's have greasable (zerks) suspensions.

The good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "YES" they do.. ;)! MM.

I hope I can order the new rubber inner wheels for my vector next fall.. That would make me happy.

i hope the rtx has different calibrations and stiffened up the rear suspension or i should have ordered the nytro. i like to ride agressive, if this suspension gives me hell next year ill put in the torsion rear suspension! :shock: :?:

O.K. Here is the info that I received from Chris.

Yamaha is aware of service issues as reported to them by their dealers.

There are changes coming for the better.....but at this point they cannot announce what the changes are going to be made.

In a short period of time....they have to come up with a way to fix any concerns and then get the parts produced. This all has to be done quickly so that the redesigned parts can be available for assembly of the 06's.

As for the W-arms... Research has to be done to figure out which sleds have the issues, how many, and why. (could be a result of design, production, shock calibration, abuse, etc.) I think they also look for batch issues.....maybe only problems on sleds between a certain range of serial numbers.

Anyway....I was happy to hear that they are listening to the consumer and are working on some solutions. My opinion is.....for most of us....there will not be an issue. There are some of us dare devil's that can break anything.

07's....I cannot get any info....his lips are sealed. All he mentioned is "4 strokes rule"

He went on to tell some stats of the 3 cylender 120hp motor. In Canada they sold a significant (four digit) number of 120 hp sleds.

As of today there was not one report of a failure. (seizure, crank, cams, rods, pumps, bearings etc.) They are very happy seeing this is a first year engine. This kind of makes the hyfax issue seem minor.....but they are working on that too.

He went on to say that there were a few electrical issues....but no grenades.

I do not know why he went into detail on the 120 hp engine....I did not ask for any info.....is that a hint?

Who knows?

Yammiman:

In regards to the rear shock calibration.....I would guess that Yamaha would be afraid to put a mega stiff shock calibration in the RTX.

There is such a range of ages and riding styles of people buying these sleds.

The 02 Viper had a stiff suspension......and the older guys were unhappy....Yamaha had a shock exchange program and I think it cost them alot of money!

I beat the crap out of the pre production sled that I rode.....I think that it will be just fine. :flag:

My 2 cents.

RX1 MEIRDA said:
As for the W-arms... Research has to be done to figure out which sleds have the issues, how many, and why. (could be a result of design, production, shock calibration, abuse, etc.) I think they also look for batch issues.....maybe only problems on sleds between a certain range of serial numbers.

Anyway....I was happy to hear that they are listening to the consumer and are working on some solutions. My opinion is.....for most of us....there will not be an issue. There are some of us dare devil's that can break anything.

I think its great that Yamaha is willing to communicate almost directly with us TY'ers. It's a major step in the right direction.

However, IMO, if they are still unwilling to accept that there is and has been a weakness in the w-arms for at least 8 years (as long as I've been following Yamaha sleds) I would say they are clearly NOT listening to the consumers.

Fatigue failure of the w-arm has been the single most discussed weakness with Yamaha sleds for years. It's no secret, everybody knows. Ask any one of us TY'ers what is the most likely part to break on a Yamaha RX-1 and each and every one of us would answer "the w-arm". In fact ask any sled owner!

I can't see how it is an intelligent business decision to keep "studying the problem" instead of simply recognizing that the consumers are breaking these parts, it's hurting business, and they need to substantially strengthen them!

In 28 years of riding high mileage, non-current Doo and Poo sleds I never broke any suspension arms ever. With my 05 RX-1 it only took me 5300 kms before the first one had a fatigue crack. None of my Doo, Poo, Cat, or Vector (yes - a Yamaha that didn't break!) riding buddies broke any suspension components riding with me this season either. They rode at the same speed, over the same bumps, and got the same amount of air off the same rises. We ride moderately hard, but there are many more aggressive riders out there (that Yamaha is targeting in 06).

Does Yamaha not understand that their competition is building sleds with suspensions that don't break? On top of that the majority of aggressive riders are not riding Yamaha sleds - yet. In fact bolt a Cat suspension into an RX-1 and you'll have a reliable sled that can be driven aggressively!

In reality it would take any decent engineer less than a week to perform the FEA to optimize a stronger arm, update the drawings, and start pushing the paperwork out. It should have minimal mass and cost consequences too. Yamaha is spending far more time and money simply answering questions, let alone all of the warranty work and lost business.

I simply don't understand how this design weakness has existed for so long. It is such an easy thing to fix. Why allow such an easy to fix weakness remain on such a well-engineered machine?

Hey Meirda....! :moon:

Did'nt I read a post of yours that you ordered a ApexGT AND an RTX... :shock: What gives...didn't you just get married??? Wow you have a great wife there.....don't spend the "BOOSTA" all in one place.... ;)!

Seriously....I have no idea what I am ordering....it's now between the RTX, Attak and ER (Blue of course). Nevertheless....we are riding next winter for sure buddy.... ;)!

Cheers,

Simich

Back