• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Attak VS Nytro XTXs

brada

Veteran
Hey guys,

Been on a couple of trips to the UP this winter with my buddies that ride Nytro XTXs. They are always able to get me on a hole shot and hold 3-5 sled lengths on my 07 Attak. If we go from a 40mph roll, we are fairly close but they still usually nudge out in front by 1-2 sled lengths. Top end we are either the same or they are a touch faster.

The nitty gritty.... I weigh approx 375lbs with gear. They weigh approx 180lbs with gear. No doubt I have a heck of alot more mass to get moving than they do given I have a heavier sled too.

This is my second year with the sled and I have been extremely impressed with everything about it. Being a bigger guy I have never been this competitive on sleds. My question is this. As close as we are running, what would I need to do to give myself that little edge to get out in front? Just tossing around ideas, I like the simplicity of the Yamcharger. Would that do it? Would the air box mod and header pipes do it? Clutching? Just looking for ideas.

Currently everything is stock. I tightened up secondary spring a notch prior to last trip as I was only getting around 9800rpms ever. With the spring change it upped max RPMs to 10800 and settle in right at 10500. I appreciate any ideas or suggestions you guys have for me. Thanks!

Yamacharger and you will not have to remotely even worry about them.

Let your wife drive! ... I'm sorry, that's the first thing that came to my mind.

granto211 said:
My apex will chew an spit out my buddys nytro.

Id say gears and clutch gives u the snap.
U should be 20 mph faster top end

Thats what I thought too, but the best I've seen is 107 going across Gogebic. If there is any loose snow at all its 97-103mph. I was curious about dropping to a smaller top gear, and wondering if it could possibly help my top end along with acceleration due to how hard its pulling with me on it? What do you guys think?

I was with 3 Nytros, two of them were dead even at being a touch faster than mine and the third was slower.

APEX 06 said:
Put in a 24 tooth top gear, aftermarket exhaust, and maybe a fuel box and you should have them.

What are the stock gears, top and bottom? How much clutching is required when you re-gear?

Well when my nyto pal n me go down the railroad bed(perfect hard groom) ill pull 2 sleds bytime we hit 70, but the apex shines at 50-95. Same trail same run ill be 1/4 mile ahead hittn 119 and nytro goes 98

brada said:
Hey guys,

Been on a couple of trips to the UP this winter with my buddies that ride Nytro XTXs. They are always able to get me on a hole shot and hold 3-5 sled lengths on my 07 Attak. If we go from a 40mph roll, we are fairly close but they still usually nudge out in front by 1-2 sled lengths. Top end we are either the same or they are a touch faster.

The nitty gritty.... I weigh approx 375lbs with gear. They weigh approx 180lbs with gear. No doubt I have a heck of alot more mass to get moving than they do given I have a heavier sled too.

This is my second year with the sled and I have been extremely impressed with everything about it. Being a bigger guy I have never been this competitive on sleds. My question is this. As close as we are running, what would I need to do to give myself that little edge to get out in front? Just tossing around ideas, I like the simplicity of the Yamcharger. Would that do it? Would the air box mod and header pipes do it? Clutching? Just looking for ideas.

Currently everything is stock. I tightened up secondary spring a notch prior to last trip as I was only getting around 9800rpms ever. With the spring change it upped max RPMs to 10800 and settle in right at 10500. I appreciate any ideas or suggestions you guys have for me. Thanks!

Nytro XTX's are fast. Much faster than regular Nytros.

When is the last time you cleaned/serviced your clutches? The Nytros will jump you out of the hole but you should be reeling them in throughout the race.

-clean/dry all clutch components
-scuffed (scotchbrite) sheeve faces
-polished/smooth ramps on your stock helix
-clean/smooth ramp buttons in secondary
-new secondary spring wrapped to 60*

Hard to beat stock clutching/gearing on the Attaks.

Your looking for 10800 rpm and 125-128 (112mph gps) on the speedo on glare ice.

brada said:
Hey guys,

Call Ulmer Racing. Allen will point you in the right direction.

brada said:
Hey guys,

not related, but Nice GTO. Im a fellow owner too.

You have two option's that will get you there. With your size and going the cheapest route I would go to a twenty two tooth top gear and Ulmer air box, PC-111 and ignition module. With your size I am suspecting traction is not your problem. A YamCharger would also get you there and probably then some but cost you more. Either way Allan Ulmer is a strait up person that will set you up. (605)387-2833 for Ulmer racin.

Back