• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 M8 Front shocks on 08 Nytro

NUKNUK

Extreme
I went out yesterday to burn some gas and right out of the trailhead my right front shock (stock 08) compressed and wouldn't extend.
It seems like it's broke, I'm gonna get it in the shop tonite and take a closer look. Not surprised after five years of banging the snot out of it that it would fail at some point especially holding up that heavy #*$&@ front end.

I figure i got three options:
1. Skinz front end. I would love one but I cant find 2 grand laying around anywhere.
2. new oem shock. probably cost alot, relatively, and would still kind of suck and I can't figure out yamaha's parts page. There's no option for MTX?
3. Take stock fox w spring shocks off my bud's 07 M8 carcass.

Will Option # 3 fit? I think the shocks are 14.75 in length bolt to bolt.

Anybody messed with this before? Thanks :rocks:

I believe the factory mtx shocks are either 16.5" ctc or 17.5" ctc depending on the year. 14.75" would be way to short.

The factory gytr clicker are extremely tough and can be rebuilt very easily, find a local shop that can rebuild your shocks and it will be the cheapest route you can go.

You need to recheck the M8 shock lengths, should be 17.5" or so. They should fit.

Most shocks for the M sleds, Nytro, and some of the Polaris shocks are all 17.5" center to center extended, so you have a lot of options to look at.

Hmmm, Sweet.

Well, I measured the shocks on the sleds so apparently that wasn't an accurate measurement. Are shocks supposed to be measured previous to installation?

LSX - Yeah I'll figure out a place that can rebuild the oem shock. Whats a ballpark price on that? However, since my bud is pretty much giving me the AC shocks, thats gotta be the cheapest way to go.

ruffryder - that sounds good. Gonna try and throw the AC shocks on. Hopefully tomorrow nite. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks

I've seen stock MTX shocks go for less than $100 on Snowest. Maybe try posting a wanted ad in the SW classifieds.

shocks are normally measured either completely compressed or fully extended. It can be difficult to get a good measurement in the sled. It is possible that you measured correctly. I do not know all the different perturbations of the different msleds and front suspensions.

I do know that I have a set of fox shocks from an m sled on my nytro and they measured very close to the stock shocks.

On another note, how cold was it on your ride? Did you store the sled in a trailer? Enclosed trailer?

It sounds like it is rebuild time, not replacement time. Rebuild might be the best way to put your money, as you get a more custom tuned package for you and your riding conditions / preferences.

USUALLY AROUND $35 FOR STANDARD AND $50 FOR PIGGY BACKS, I usually have both rebuilt at the same time to ensure a proper ride, and i also have re valving done to suit my riding style which adds to the cost.

Well, damn. I just went to put the sled in the shop (it had spent a couple nites outside in the parking lot) and I noticed the right side shock was now fully extended. so as the sled was warming up I rocked it back and forth to see the shocks and A arms work, which they did for a few times until the LEFT side shock compressed and wouldn't extend.

What the hell?

Is it a bent subframe tweaking the geometry and messing with the shocks / A arm set up?

Is it the cold? Never been an issue before and the sled's spent most of it's younger years not even knowing what a garage was.

I don't know. Gonna tear into it tonite and see if the sub frame is bent. That's what I'm thinking now.

Pull the shock and take off the spring. Sounds like it is rebuild time. I have seen shocks that have gotten water in them freeze due to being in cold weather conditions.

If you pull the shock off and it goes through the stroke smoothly, but doesn't return, it might not be much besides new seals / oil, and a recharge.

Back