• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Phazer front shock swap

minks_698

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper MTX 141
I recently swapped the front shocks off the Phazer FX for a set off my 04 YFZ 450, which were just sitting on the shelf. The shocks are 1/4" shorter than the stockers, and come with a dual rate spring.
The stock shock rate on a FX is 2.6 straight rate spring. The 04 YFZ is a 2.0-4.0 dual rate spring, and the compression adjustment has far more range than the stock Phazer shocks. (05-08 YFZ front springs are softer) Initially the spring is softer, so to compensate after an afternoon of testing and tuning I ended up cranking up the preload 8 full turns from what I had on the quad to help support the weight of the heavier sled.
Results so far have been VERY positive if you are an aggressive rider and are unhappy with the stock shocks.
Best of both worlds, lower ride height for better cornering, plus you can actually jump the sled and not blow through the front travel and bottom out! The shock fit with minimal grinding. Well worth it if you can find the shocks!

I had to slightly grind top and bottom bushings a couple mm to fit inside the bracket and grind just a little off the bottom of the shock itself.

I wonder how 06YFZ shocks would work.They had much better valving than the 04's.Going to try this.Thanks.

You will have to really crank up the preload with 06 shocks, I believe their rate is like 1.5 - 3.5. My spring length is 240 mm right now, unsprung. Don't forget to slow the rebound back down some.

So "Minks_698", are you gonna put the GYT's on the YFZ? Be curious to see how the YFZ would react to them. I have the Race Tech valving and I'm sure it would give the FX a better ride.

I use to run the YFZ shocks on my King Quad, they worked well there, too. One can buy them on ebay all day long in the $200 range for a set. Some of the special edition shocks have high and low speed dampening adjustments... Nice mod, thanks for sharing.

Back