• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 RTX (Flames coming out the back)

APEX99

I have A 07 RTX and after a half mile pull.i have flames(2 feet long) coming out both pipes when i left off the gas.Ya sure it looks cool and all at night,but really to fast to furious is not what I am looking for...lol..Could this just be unburnt fuel and or normal. The sled does pull really hard.I get 112 plus mph on gps.Also went to a local 600 ft radar run and ran 142 km/hr in 600ft.Seen a few new mach's running 137 km/hr and rev800's (06/07's) running 135-136 km/hr. Anyone have any ideas or should i just leave it.The sled has 700 miles on it.

Thanks

definatly unburnt fuel. I would be taking it in. Although if you ever passed me and let off and shot flames out...I think I would shyt my pants :)

Ya isn't it cool. I looked back one time and the flames were licking back up the exhaust cover toward me. Very cool when you pass all your buddies and then let off a few. After a hard pull the exhaust gets so hot that it lite's the unburned fuel and you get the flame. She's geared to pull out of the hole, haven't lost yet out of the hole and I'm 240 with out gear. Top end well I hit 112 gps and that's fast enough for me. Lots of fun in the trails though. enjoy

IMO, the EFI systems aren't as refined as our automotive counterparts, and unless the engines start running oxygen sensors, they can't constantly adjust themselves. I would bet that if they would add this technology, the mileage would be awesome! I think this is why they use the airbox sensor as the primary means of adjustment, which will always make it rich, hence the flames.
Anybody know of any aftermarket systems that use oxygen sensors??
Nate

My R1 has O2 sensor and the milage isn't great, 35 mpg and for a bike thats not very good and after a few hard pulls on the track down the straight it pop's out flames too.

I'm sure your R1 just feels like a different motor though? I always rode GSXR's, and have never riden an R1, but I know I've never riden a bike that feels like my sled. I'd like to hear from Yammy, or someone else in the know, if the computers are much different. I do remember my bikes doing it a well, but I had to be risking a ton of trouble running it that hard!!...
Nate

It feels similar to me except it revs to 12000 rpm. My guess is they detune it to get the life out of the motor. Crusing on the apex at 70mph runs about 8000 rpms while 70mph on the R1 in sixth is around 5500rpms Would be nice if they did then I could put on my Nitrous set up from the R1 to the RTX. I have the 40hp shot dry system that the R1 sensors pick up on the lean mixture of the nitrous and adjust the fuel ratio accordingly. On the Dyno you can see when you hit the button it goes lean just for a split second and then goes back to around 13%. For $350 US it would be cheap horsepower. Why Yamaha doesn't have a O2 sensor on the apex is beyond me. In fact I looked in the Nitrous section and was shocked to learn the sled didn't adjust with a O2 sensor. Been in the R1 since the 02 model year and uses the same motor so why not. Like you say I can't imagine that it would do anything but help the milage and all around performance. Maybe next year.

Does anybody know the +'s and -'s of fitting the street bike setup to the snow? The only thing I can think of would be the cold weather setup. My last GSXR was a '98, so I'm probably not the guy to know, but it was EFI, and had a high idle lever much like a choke for cold weather operation. If the bike computer would work in the sled, I would think it would run better. I'm sure there is a reason for it not already being that way.
Nate

I did ride my R1 on Dec. 12th one year. It warmed up to -10c that day. No choke on the R1 just hit the starter button and she fired right up. Good site here and I'm sure someone on here knows why Yama doesn't run a Os sensor. I would think they would if is was better. Good question !!!

Off topic, but I was wondering what sort of rpms you guys with 07 RTX's are seeing?

I'm concerned that mine is revving too high (or the tach needs calibrating). I haven't really opened it up fully for any distance yet (only has 420 miles on it) but yesterday I opened it up a little and saw 11,000 on the tack and still climbing on a snow covered lake.

My sled engages at about 3400 (nice and low), but if you punch it, its almost instantly seeing 10,500 (perfect) and it slowly climbs from there pulling incredibly hard. By about 180 kph (112 mph) on the speedometer (probably about 97 mph in reality) its just starting to creep past 11,000 rpm. This is nowhere near the top end though (still pulling hard).

BTW, on those short blasts I haven't seen any flames out the back - but all of the Apex's I know will shoot flames after about a 1/4 mile at WOT.

ReX said:
Off topic, but I was wondering what sort of rpms you guys with 07 RTX's are seeing?

I'm concerned that mine is revving too high (or the tach needs calibrating). I haven't really opened it up fully for any distance yet (only has 420 miles on it) but yesterday I opened it up a little and saw 11,000 on the tack and still climbing on a snow covered lake.

My sled engages at about 3400 (nice and low), but if you punch it, its almost instantly seeing 10,500 (perfect) and it slowly climbs from there pulling incredibly hard. By about 180 kph (112 mph) on the speedometer (probably about 97 mph in reality) its just starting to creep past 11,000 rpm. This is nowhere near the top end though (still pulling hard).

BTW, on those short blasts I haven't seen any flames out the back - but all of the Apex's I know will shoot flames after about a 1/4 mile at WOT.
Mine is now an 07 rtx stock gearing with the fix lid on,and no added fuel on bottom end like i had to do on my 06 apex,it runs very good,but runs 11,100-11,200 all stock clutching,even though i changed out the secondary spring to a silver,i ran it the first 70 miles with the stock pink at 70 and it ran the same rpms 11,100 11,200 on top end,and ran 112 gps on snow/ice bare track.Oh ya 846 miles on stock belt,and rpms remain the same.

Back