• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'07 VL Fuel Pump Doesn't Cycle - No Start

apeddigrew

Veteran
While on a 2 nite back country run my sled would not start Sun Morning. it started Sat mornin no problem, had a ~~190 km day w/ no issues at all. sled ran great. It started and ran fine friday as well. Sun morning, not as cold as Sat morning, the fuel pump won't cycle when the key is turned on. (new battery installed on thursday, new ignition relay about 2 weeks ago.)
seems like a frozen fuel pump?? i tried some gas line antifreeze, no luck, tried to locate the fuel pump to wrap with warm rag or something but can't find the pump!
after a 14km tow, and 2.5 hr drive home the pump cycles and sled starts before removing from truck! however the headlight doesn't come on right away, then light comes on after a few minutes??

Anyone out there aware of a similar type of problem with thoughts or comments?

Thanks much guys

Andre

More than likely, it's the fuel pump relay. Fuel pump itself is in the tank so not likely it froze. Replace it with the new solid state fuel pump relay number 8GN-81950-00. Also replace the load control relay, which controls power to the lights once the motor is started. Could be that once the sled warmed up a bit the relay finally worked and turned on the lights.

Mooseman said:
More than likely, it's the fuel pump relay. Fuel pump itself is in the tank so not likely it froze. Replace it with the new solid state fuel pump relay number 8GN-81950-00. Also replace the load control relay, which controls power to the lights once the motor is started. Could be that once the sled warmed up a bit the relay finally worked and turned on the lights.

x2!

fuel pump is an in tank unit.

sounds like you had a frozen fuel pump relay (x3). common on the fuelie yamahas. relays look like they are located on the right side of the sled from parts diagram.

Re: 07 VL fuel pump

apeddigrew said:
Thanks very much Moose man. The relay cluster, is that under or behind the battery somewhere? And how do u know which is which?

Thanks again.

Ap

They are between the battery and engine. On the mp, it's the top 2 middle relays

The second from the left is load, and third is the fuel relay.

MP issues...

I had much the same thing happen to me this weekend... we went maybe 20 K... stopped shut the sled off... tried to start it... couldn't hear the Fuel pump kick in... also the head lights wouldn't come on... but on the dash the High beam indicator flashed on for a sec and then shut off... left the sled for a day.. came back expecting to have to tow it... and it fired right up...ran it home... put it on the truck to take it to the dealer...salesman told me of the relay issue... also of a ground issue that was a recall/service bulletin...talked to the tech at the dealer... all he could think of was the relay... he ordered the solid state part in.... anyone else seen the high beam lite flash during this ordeal..?... and I say ordeal when you are miles from home

Thanx :sled1: :sled1:

It happened to me last weekend as well (-34c). Tried a hand warmer on the relays for about 10 min to no avail. Pulled out the thermos, poured hot tea on the relays and the pump fired right away. Even the yammy needs some green tea every now and again!

the tech at the Yammy dealer here in Fredericton ordered me the 'Red' solid state relay... but I think there was a wiring issue that was sent out as a bulletin as well...

It almost sounds like it's the relay but the high beam light flashing is strange. How long was it stopped when you tried to re-start it? It's usually when it is stone cold in very cold weather.

The dealer should check for melting of the ground block which is taped up in the wiring harness located between the oil tan and radiator. Also should check the ground wire connector running from the battery. I had one that was frayed and partially disconnected which also cause some weird boogaboos.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ine+random

Thanx Moose Man
yeah... he was going to top t bottom the machine.. he said some of the ground wires looked a little less than perfect... he was going to add on the piece of harness that was noted in the service bulletin...it was shut off for about 10 minutes in maybe -15... I'm thinking ground issue as well..I have not heard anything about the hi-beam indicator flashing but one would think it would be a sign from the Yamaha gods I hate to talk poop about techs... but this guy didn't seem to have much of a clue about what he was doing... situations like those worry me..if and when I get it sorted I will post what the issue was...I am one perplexed Newfoundlander...

Eastern wind said:
Thanx Moose Man
yeah... he was going to top t bottom the machine.. he said some of the ground wires looked a little less than perfect... he was going to add on the piece of harness that was noted in the service bulletin...it was shut off for about 10 minutes in maybe -15... I'm thinking ground issue as well..I have not heard anything about the hi-beam indicator flashing but one would think it would be a sign from the Yamaha gods I hate to talk poop about techs... but this guy didn't seem to have much of a clue about what he was doing... situations like those worry me..if and when I get it sorted I will post what the issue was...I am one perplexed Newfoundlander...
.........in New Brunswick! :tg:

yep... In Fredericton NB no less... retired military...seemed like a nice place to be...

While on a 2 nite back country run my sled would not start Sun Morning. it started Sat mornin no problem, had a ~~190 km day w/ no issues at all. sled ran great. It started and ran fine friday as well. Sun morning, not as cold as Sat morning, the fuel pump won't cycle when the key is turned on. (new battery installed on thursday, new ignition relay about 2 weeks ago.)
seems like a frozen fuel pump?? i tried some gas line antifreeze, no luck, tried to locate the fuel pump to wrap with warm rag or something but can't find the pump!
after a 14km tow, and 2.5 hr drive home the pump cycles and sled starts before removing from truck! however the headlight doesn't come on right away, then light comes on after a few minutes??

Anyone out there aware of a similar type of problem with thoughts or comments?

Thanks much guys

Andre
Any resolution to this issue, my 09 is having very similar issues. Will run fine one minute then the high beam indicator will come on, sled dies and won't restart, or even crank.

Back