• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 FX Nytro Engine Failure @ 9000 km's/5625 MI

That should be covered under warranty as a bunch of guys were breaking them on the 07's. I believe the replacement part is billet aluminum.

I just got an answer from Öhlins.
These are the partnumbers for the Mountain lite.
Front YA 720
Center YA 721
Rear YA 722
Looks like your problem is solved anyway, but you might want to upgrade to some real shocks someday.
Edit
I just saw that Carver has a closeout on these shocks.
YA 720 Yamaha Phazer / FX/ GT Front ('07-'10) 36PRX $1,199.00
YA 721 Yamaha Phazer Center ('07-'10) 36D $249.00
YA 722 Yamaha Phazer/FX/GT Rear ('07-'10) 36PCW $399.00

Yep, that's who I was getting the measurements for. You're right, I still want to upgrade the shocks, I just wasn't able to get a compressed measurement with the shock in the skid...I'll do it on a sled at the dealer this morning and decide what to order. GYTR's for the fronts ski's are backordered, but the shock float 2's are super cheap up front, under $400 per shock CDN. Weird?

AKrider said:
That should be covered under warranty as a bunch of guys were breaking them on the 07's. I believe the replacement part is billet aluminum.

Yep, you're right. It will be warranty and it is a much beefier part and its available out of Toronto! YAY!

Its on order now.

So the shock is actually ok - i'm still going to upgrade, but at least i'm not under the timing gun I was before thinking I had a busted shock. I should have just pulled the rear skid in the first place, but I had just had it out, inspected everything good, then the dealer had it out, and it would have broken the first ride 2 weeks ago.

glad it is a simpler fix, availibility wise anyways.

Fox Floats sux moose nut in the cold....I'm talking -30 and colder.....if it was me I'd stay away...I had nothing but problems with the floats on my F7 in the cold

For your use, I wouldn't go with Floats. Nice thing about a coil spring is even if the shock springs a leak, the spring will still support the weight of the sled.

Something interesting I heard about Ohlins yesterday is that they are pulling out of the snowmachine market. I'd look into it before spending any money.

AKrider said:
Something interesting I heard about Ohlins yesterday is that they are pulling out of the snowmachine market. I'd look into it before spending any money.

That would suck... I thought Yamaha still had a stake in Ohlins?

From what I heard that is correct. I was told that Ohlins is primarily a race car shock company. Their focus is on cars, street bikes and now ATV's. The only shocks they produce for sleds are the rear skid shocks. The fronts and centers are modified ATV or car shocks. I don't think it is that big of a deal. Ohlins have an excellent reputation and are basically the top of the line shock for a sled, but it is difficult to get all of the parts if you have a problem. Other shock companies offer every part you need to completely rebuild or repair your shock.

My guess is with the economy and slumping sled sales, that it is no longer profitable for Ohlins to produce and support shocks to such a small market. They never had a huge presence in the sled world anyway.

Yellowknife said:
that's very interesting. You should ask Chris on his blog if he knows anything about Ohlins pulling out.

Already did....

Nice!

Nytro Engine Update:

I have really great news, and I really don't know how to repay the people I owe this news to. Despite the timing chain tensioner being backordered, a combined effort from my dealer Force One in Yellowknife and Chris Reid/Yamaha Canada managed to find one for me and it is being shipped our way which should be enough time to get it installed before I leave for Ontario.

I can't say enough good things about the support I get from all of the above people and those of you online. Situations that could easily leave me sledless for months are always backed up by hard work from the dealer floor right up to the corporate level. Without this support I'd have a lot less seat time.

I'll say it again and again, never ever have I seen a dealer and manufacturer step in to assist a consumer so much. The backing I get and all the support is appreciated BIG TIME and there's just no way 'thank you' feels like nearly enough, but I owe you guys, so THANKS!!

YK

Back