• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 MTX Suspension drop brackets

SLEDNECK67

Veteran
Hey guys! first time posting. Quick question I was wondering what would it change for my suspension if I went to the bottom hole of the drop bracket insted of the 2nd from the bottom? Thank you in advance for the help guys :yam:

It will increase your ski pressure, not normally a good thing on a yamaha unless you're running boost. Basically it takes weight from your middle shockd and puts more on your front and rear. What are you looking to gain? Welcome to TY

Yeah, and add to that an increased approach angle, which is already pretty bad.....bring on the trenching!

If you are looking for more clearance for an undertunnel, the handling and trenching penalties are noticable, but not huge IMO.

Pretty sure it would decrease your approach angle... Think of a flat surface, then drop the rear, the front would move up, which in turn reduces the angle the track has to rotate on from the drivers... Right? I dropped my rear mounting point, sucked my limiter straps up, increased the pre-load adjustment on the rear shock, and cranked my torsion springs up. Worked well in powder, not good in setup snow or trail riding tho...
-Justin

justinkredible56 said:
Pretty sure it would decrease your approach angle... Think of a flat surface, then drop the rear, the front would move up, which in turn reduces the angle the track has to rotate on from the drivers... Right? I dropped my rear mounting point, sucked my limiter straps up, increased the pre-load adjustment on the rear shock, and cranked my torsion springs up. Worked well in powder, not good in setup snow or trail riding tho...
-Justin

I would agree with the approach angle, also tightening your limiter straps would help too. But this sounds like a really heavy front end to me. I always run way drastic the other way. Even though it is not good for trenching it handles so much better in the tree's and technical lines. I make up for the trenching by burning lot's of gas and riding the piss out of it :exc:

Thats one of the goals with the tubie is to be able to lighten up the ski pressure but still have a properly set up skid to help it get on top and be able to keep the ski's down on climbs.

I guess I never really noticed the heavy front end because of my riding weight. This definitely creates more ski pressure but with 270lbs on the back I probably countered the negative effects. I've been watching your endless modifications for this sled and love the ideas, keep us updated!

rlcofmn- I really was just curious of what would happen if I would change from the stock location to the bottom location. I really I am slowly getting into cust. my nytro since i am a bigger guy 300 I am adding the heavyer springs.

Again guys I really appreciate all the help

Yeah, I hadn't thought that thru, you guys might be right. By using the lower hole, you might have the tip of slide rails move away from the track, thus lowering the approach angle, and sucking up the limiter will definitely help it, but ski pressure will go up too as rlcofmn said in his post

I wouldn't expect much of an improvement from trenching regardless. My 09 MTX rails has an approach angle of 36 degrees, and the 08 Arctic Cat M skid I have is 18 degrees!

SLEDNECK67, the HD springs will definitely help, and lots of guys have sent the stock shocks away for revalving too. Apparently it makes them work way better for the bigger guys. Haven't tested it yet, but I am lining up to get some of my Floats done this fall.

Hey rlcofmn, kudos on the build. You AK guys are unreal.

OTM

Off Trail Mike said:
My 09 MTX rails has an approach angle of 36 degrees, and the 08 Arctic Cat M skid I have is 18 degrees!

Wow! Are you just measuring the rail tips then?? Just from the flat part of the rail to where the caps go on is a 36 degree angle?

Does this mean that by changing the rails, you change the steep approach angle that is responsible for the trenching that the nytro with stock suspension does?

Back