• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'08 Nytro bump steer improvement

AKrider

TY 4 Stroke God
I'm tired of getting singled out on this site for being critical of the lack of improvements to the Nytro. My mod can be found on BCR.

Just came in from riding my IQR and Nytro back to back on the same trails. Riding my Nytro with a fresh perspective helps you to see and discover things you didn't notice before. I didn't have any good sections of stutters to hit but the front end didn't wag the bars back and forth. I've been so focused on the front end being the root of all evil that I was pleased with how well it actually works now.

What I did notice was the weight. Get out of shape or bounced a bit sideways in the whoops and it is really hard to bring the Nytro back straight. Get knocked off line with the whole sled tipping to one side or the other in the air and you just have to hope things turn out okay on landing. My trail tank only had 4 gallons in it so the weight of the gas was no different than stock. The top heavy nature of the Nytro really becomes apparent when you ride something else. If you just slow down you probably won't notice any of these traits and be totally happy.

The ideal Nytro would be wider, longer, lose the radiator, lower the height of the gas, slim down the body work in front of your legs... I've got lots of ideas. I don't see it ever being competitive with a lighter weight 2-stroke but it could be so much better. Maybe the next version will incorporate some of these ideas?

This was a good read, It's great to read your opinions. I had a 08 Nytro and now own an 09,
I have the same issues when hitting whoops on my Nytro, if you can hit them straight on, no issues, but if you get side ways I find it unpredictable compared to other sleds.

Nice read....I was thinking about putting the 08 spindles on my 09 ...or just getting a new front end .... or just going back to a pol.

Scott,

I'm coming down a week from thursday for the weekend to do some riding with a bunch of turbo's we'll have to hook up. You can see what a lighter, more powerfull, SPG Nytro can do. ;)!

Man that's some good detective work! I hope guys that really hate the front end feel get some satisfaction this way. I've found my 2009 with some new skis and a bunch of time messing with the suspension works fine.

Im gonna have to try this this year after i get some seat time on it normally. Swap and see what it does looks promising. Good work! :Rockon:

When u said grind down the tie rod end what part do you grind down??? the actual ball or am i missing that part?

AKrider said:
Here is a pic of the '08 and '09 spindles. The '09 spindle is on top. The picture shows the higher mounting ears on the '09.

DSC01322.jpg

In the bump steer thread, 00-Nuke went so far as removing the lower ear and installing a new mount to lower the tie rod. If I remember correctly, he did this to the '09 spindle.

t_dsc09189compressed_203.jpg

I don't know if he's had the opportunity to ride his set up?

I have not yet had the oppertunity to test it being without snow. I will be heading up to the ERX Motor Park in Elk River, MN on Thursday to get in some practice runs on the snocross track. I'll keep you posted. I fully agree that the weight distribution is to high and to far forward on the Nytro's and am sure that this bumpsteer fix will be a minor improvement. I am looking into eventually getting the skinz front geometry or a set of split rails, but this mod will have to do for now.

Update

The race track testing went well. No stability issues other than the high center of gravity. Was it worth it? I'm not fond of having a 2 piece spindle for the minimal difference that relocating the tie rod tabs made. So I would say that my tie rod mod was not worth it unless one has money to burn on creating a 1 piece spindle with the new tie rod tab positions.

Raising the upper A-arm 14mm and shaving the ball joint did help with the handeling and cornering, where the stock Nytro has the most troubles. I would recommend these 2 Mods.

Back