• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 Nytro lost power and speedometer reading zero

Justin Fidler

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Nytro RTX
Last night while out for the first ride of the season after riding for 10 miles the check engine light started flashing while the speedometer also was reading zero. there was definately a lack of power at the low end as well. In a panic mode I did not pay attention to the code that was flashing in place of the odometer.

I immediately thought overheat but after shutting down for 10 minutes and starting again the problem remained.

Any suggestions before trucking to the dealer?

check your speed sensor and the gear it reads. Mine fell out once..

Attachments

• WP_20150102_001.jpg
    WP_20150102_001.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 615
  • WP_20150102_002.jpg
    WP_20150102_002.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 338
Check battery connection, when I first got my sled it did that exact same thing intermittently quite a few times on my first ride with it. Until about 3/4 of the way home I shut it off and it wouldn't start again, bolt on the battery connection was loose. Tightened it up and haven't had a problem since.

That same issue happened to me. The lower driveshaft bearing failed and took out the speed sensor when it happened. Sled will idle fine, but won't run when you throttle it up. The engine computer goes into a safety mode when this sensor isn't working and therefore won't run above idle.

Thanks, turns out the left bearing failed and damaged the speed sensor. bearing replaced but sensor is on order from dealer. Will machine still work other than speedometer for a trip over the holidays? I would like to know before heading out onto trails. If it will not is there a way to jumper it so that sled will still operate.
Thanks

No the sled will only idle nice as soon as you give it throttle and get above clutch engagement rpm it will bog out. It is not rideable. As a work around I purchased an apex speed sensor cause they didn't have a nytro one in stock. That was 4 years ago and 9,000 miles ago.

What is involved in changing the speed sensor? Is it a dealer change item or can it be done at home.
Thanks for any help able to provide.

Back