• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 Phazer Block Heater??????

I recently bought an 08 MTX, I live in manitoba so as you can guess it gets freaking cold here !!!! Anyone have some experiences on a block heater or oil heater on their sled; or am I better off putting the command start in?

really not needed. Mine has never failed to start even at -30*f with 0w30 oil in the machine. If its stored in a garage, even an uninsulated one, its still going to quite a bit warmer than the outside temp too.

It has been my experiance that the relays will freeze up and cause a no start before anything else. I would be more worried about the fuel pump and starter relay.

As long as the relays and battery work it will start up.

An oil warmer would make the oil flow easier. If you are more concerned about starting maybe a battery warmer? That way the starter will have more power to turn the sled over...

BTW congrats on the new sled.

I agree with blueironranger. I have never had a problem starting the sled in -34 C weather after being trailered for 1.5 hrs.

I keep mine in my uninsulated attached garage and never had any problems.

I guess i'm most concerned, because we go to a friends cabin for the weekend which is pretty isolated, being across the lake. There's no power of any sort, and we ice fish a couple lakes over alot of times. If I have problems, i'm in alot of trouble. Is there a list of small parts I should carry other than the usual spare belt and tools? I dont foresee any problems, I had an arctic cat last yr and that only froze up once when it was -38C so now that I've upgraded to a YAMAHA I should be ok !!! I'm just one of those guys where without bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all!! LOL

I would not hesitate to take my sled out to remote locations. Apart from tools and belt I bring 2 spare plugs and a fuel pump relay. Or if the relay freezes up you can take it out and hold it for a while in your hand and it should work.

The starter relay can be jumped with a screw driver.

I think i"ll stick with a battery warmer, and an extra fuel relay. I'm kind new to all of this, so I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks ;)!

Only time mine didn´t start was when i had it out over the night in -40 Celsius, not some gottam farenhait.

I would add a battery tender to that list if it sits for more than a few days hook it up.Peak performing battery is real important to avoid flooding motor on cold start.

Emme.g.h. said:
Only time mine didn´t start was when i had it out over the night in -40 Celsius, not some gottam farenhait.

-40C is -40F.

Anyways same here mine did not start last year when had a -35F night. I never had a problem with it starting in the cold before until last year. Since I got the new race sled I did not use it much after Jan. However friends would use it and every time we would ride it would either start Warm or Cold weather or not. Other cases it would start and then just shut off while riding. Around April discovered it was the grounding block.
So never had any starter or relay troubles no matter the temp just a fried grounding block.

The only time I've had problems is if it parked facing into the wind at -35 overnight. I think the problem is that the battery gets to weak to spin it fast enough to start.

cannondale27 said:
I would add a battery tender to that list if it sits for more than a few days hook it up.Peak performing battery is real important to avoid flooding motor on cold start.

Now there is best recommondation. In reference to a coolant heater, I had a discussion with a Yamaha mechanic. I had purchased a factory yamaha coolant heater and had planned on the same thing you were going to do.

The mechanic said that the kit I had purchased was only for carbed motors. Yamaha did NOT make a heater kit for the EFI motors. He went on to say that the warmed coolant temps would "fool" the programmed start mode in the software parameters. That the Air/fuel ratio would not be rich enough to get the motor started properly. Needless to say, I returned the kit.

-20 F. is where mine struggles to start, its an 07 and never had cold start update done.. What I have found is if Its parked outside use the battery tender and plug it in overnight. A strong battery makes all the difference. If you are going to a remote cabin with no power, pull your battery out for the night and take it inside to keep it warm. pretty easy and quick. And whatever you do never give it gas when trying to start it, it WILL flood..I do run a block heater and oil heater and battery tender, but my sled is outside all winter.

I think that's what I'll do, pull the battery in over night. I also bought one of those battery packs, that i'll bring with me to the cabin. I'm looking forward to the snow coming and staying!! plus 7 today and 8 tomorrow, isnt good for the snow :(

i have one installed on my 07 since new,used it once,i have a cabin deep in the bush,it gets cold and its very isolated,so unless you have a generator to plug the water heater,it wont help much where there's no power,it always starts good,dont worry about it,an extra relay is a good idea,even just throwing a cover on it at the camp helps quite a bit

Back