• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 Apex randomly shut off twice. HELP!

Well, another update.

Fired the ol heifer up, let it idle to get that block hot(which BTW was a melted pile of goop) as it idled I moved various parts of the harness, and other ground blocks. None of which were hot. As I approached the hot block, the engine stumbled, do I gave it a rap with a screwdriver and the engine immediately quit and all but the gauges were dead.

I clipped, stripped, and twisted the wires together temporarily. Turned the key, and it fired right up.

I'm still convinced the voltage regulator is flakey though, as voltage is still jumping around alot.

I've got a new regulator on order, and will still get the battery load tested tomorrow.

In the mean time, I'm gonna swap a regulator off one of my Vectors to see if it stabilizes. They are the same part for the 3 & 4 cyl.

HUGE THANK YOU again to all who have helped out pointing me in the right direction.

In the automotive world, my career, modules have operating voltage parameters to protect themselves from both under and over voltage. This is to prevent letting the magic smoke out. So that high voltage allowed the ECU to shut down and save itself. Grounds also are very critical as you found out. A static battery voltage, engine off, is 12.6 volts and engine running a 1.5 to 2 volt max rise which is normal for all 12v electrical systems.

Well, hopefully the final update. Put 40 miles on Sunday with wife & kids. Sled ran like a Yamaha Apex should, flawlessly.

1. Made my own ground block. Stays cold.

2. Had battery load tested. One bad/dead cell. Installed new battery.

3. Installed new voltage regulator. However, with the new battery & rebuilt ground block, voltage was again stable with the original regulator, but I bought the new one, might as well put it to use.

4. And this is a lesson for everyone. Even though a battery shows "ok" on a multimeter (as mine was 12.64v) & spins the starter fine, doesn't mean it's good. Getting the battery load tested is the ONLY way to know if it's good.

I'm gonna start doing this as another pre season checklist item from now on.

Again, thank you to everyone who chimed in with help & advise.

Last edited:

Back