• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 Nytro Mods

LuckydawgAK

Extreme
I've been loving my Yammie Nytro, love the four stroke. Having fun up here in AK. Doing a snowdance though and wishing for more snow. I've had some great rides in Petersville though.

I know mods are beat to death on this forum but as a new owner I will be making some and have some questions for those who went down the road before me.

Immediate mods:

-WRP Mountain tuff running boards. I don't like the stock. They are on the way

-Exhaust turnout, already done

-Track... deciding which one (CE or Powerclaw)

-Timbersled suspension... probably next year but seriously thinking about it this year.

I will do both the track and suspension but only one this year. I am mostly learning how to ride in the pow now. I am transitioning from trails to pow. High marking is not an issue. Keeping from getting stuck is. I am doing much better than the first couple of times out and having a blast. I can carve now and do things that I couldn't on trail sleds. So...

Track or Suspension first?
36 #'s is a lot but after a lot of reading, seems like it's track for my purpose
CE or Powerclaw?
Where are you all ordering your tracks online? how much?
AK folks, do we have dealers up here?

Thanks all

For all of your Yamaha parts and aftermarket needs, get a hold of Andrew Smith at Anchorage Yamaha. He runs the Service Dept. and can get you anything you need. I'm very good friends with him and we've both been running Nytros since they came out in late '07.

If I had a stock Nytro to work with, I would get Camoplast's brand new 153x15x2.5 track part#9174M. These tracks are 4 lbs lighter than the previous camo extremes and have an improved paddle design. The track alone will make a far bigger difference than the suspension. My next $$$ would go towards an excell header, K&N kit, PCV, and then suspension. The Timbersled skid is nice, but I think money is better spent on the track and power upgrades. If you're happy with the power, than the Timbersled skid is a great option and drops a ton of weight. Drew might even have a kit in stock.

Another cheap weight loss item is the battery. You can purchase a YTZ10S battery from Interstate for about $125 and they drop 7 lbs.

Thanks Caleb. Like he said, im a dealer for pretty much all you listed and wanted so give me a shout anytime and I will try and meet if not beat any price you can find.

Like he said, if your ok with the skid and suspension do the track first. The stock track was about worthless on these sleds and really holds back its power potential. After that it would be a toss up for me between a skid and more power. Im a heavier rider (about 275 riding)so the stock suspension is far to soft for me so i would say skid would be #2 on the list for me.

The first thing I would do is take off the POS engine protector and put on a proper subframe/engine/heat exchanger protector. Lots of info on this. It's a weak point on the Nytro that can have very dire consequences. Then I agree with Nikolai on the track choice. Rather the CE than the PC. Skid can come next....or later. Here's a pic of the skid plate.

Attachments

• 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 164
Thanks guys. HYFLR, are you Andrew? Do you run the maintenance shop or different Andrew? If so, you've been a great help to me already. You guys checked out my sled when I bought it. I've been in and out buying some small stuff but I didn't realize that you all deal with a bunch of aftermarket stuff.

I'm sold on the track. I'll call you on Tuesday when you're open. I'll go skid next since there is plenty of power for me, it will take me a while to get anywhere near it's overall potential.

Thats me, glad we could help! Anytime you need something feel free to message me on here or stop by and even call. Ill do my best to help you out.

Track, Roest Skid plate, running boards, Oft steering relocate, suspension, then power is the order for me.

I dont think you can go wrong with an OFT tether and roll over valve either if you plan on rolling the sled on its side once and a while.

Just ask wolfone what happens when you run out of oil with the throttle wide open under boost when the sled is on its side. we all feel his pain

Thanks all. Camoplast CE on order (thanks Drew!). New boards should be here soon (WRP), still debating on the suspension. I will do it but might wait until next year.

I think I saw wolfone's pics...nasty! Those other mods are under consideration.

The steering relocate is a great mod. I did CE track, steering relocate and under tunnel exhaust right out of the box. Then WRP boards this fall, awesome mod. stock boards are a death trap. Riding in pow and jump rails and landed on an icy snow drift and See yah! Watch the nytro ride all alone to the bottom without me. Just setting up the timber sled and fox floats now.

never road a stock nytro but I love mine

I've read this once before on the 2.5 inch lugs. I know (Drew), you said this won't be an issue and no cut down necessary.

"Warning: If you are running a 2 1/2" Camoplast Challenger Extreme track, we have found that you must cut it down to 2 1/4" due to clearance issues between the front cooler and the lower exhaust pan. At high track speeds, the snow and air cannot pass thru and this slows down the track speed down and looses horse power."

http://www.hartmaninc.com/tracks.html

Anyone else run into this?

LuckydawgAK said:
I've read this once before on the 2.5 inch lugs. I know (Drew), you said this won't be an issue and no cut down necessary.

"Warning: If you are running a 2 1/2" Camoplast Challenger Extreme track, we have found that you must cut it down to 2 1/4" due to clearance issues between the front cooler and the lower exhaust pan. At high track speeds, the snow and air cannot pass thru and this slows down the track speed down and looses horse power."

Drew, Caleb and I plus many others are all running 2.5 CE's with no issues. Yes its tight but it does work great. I would agree with the others on track first then susp, Im not a timbersled fan but there are way more that would not agree with me so Im not going to go into that. Skid plate I ran a Roest last year and this year im running a custom similar to it but both Drew and Caleb both ride hard, ride often with stockers/modified stockers. So its not a must and its working in the wrong direction as far as weight. Steering Relocater from OFT is a must, Battery Its too soon to tell for sure but I Cheeped out on my Battery and bought one from Bikebatts.com For like $50 and its been great so far plus really fast shipping. I figure for less than half the cost and 1 year warrenty it was worth a shot. No regrets so far.

I think your on the right track for sure, get that track on there and get some miles on!

LuckydawgAK said:

I run it, ran it, and several other buddies run it at full 2.5" no cutting necessary....

Thanks again all. I just didn't want buyers remorse. I usually over analyze before buying (on anything over about 10 bucks!). It does sound like Hartman out of Bosie says you'll have performance issue but others are not having an issue. Still going for it. ;)!

Back