• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 NYTRO wont start after storage... any ideas?

Mtnbkr738

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro R-TX
Hi all,
So i summer ized my 09 Nytro like normal last spring. Stored it indoors. Went out to start it up today and it turns over fine... but wont start. I feel like if i could spray some strarting fluid in it it would start right up. I did notice it is puffing white smoke out the tail pipe when i try to start...it just doesnt want to go.

Any suggestions before i start to dig into it tomorrow??

BTW it ran flawless last winter and putting it away it was in perfect shape.

Ps: i dont hear the fuel pump "priming" when i turn the key (it seems like i used to hear that) so i dunno if im supposed to hear it or not.

Open to ideas??

Thx!

Any chance you put diesel fuel in by accident. Shouldn't be puffing white smoke.....

Its puffing smoke before it lights off or it lights off but won't run?

Might not be related to your Nytro but all three Phazer's I've owned did nearly the same thing each season. They'll fire right up with a shot of ether and run great but won't start on there own with 8-9 month old fuel. Doesn't seam to matter what kind of fuel I put in them for storage or what additive I use, they still won't start come next winter. If I pump it all out with an electric transfer pump and put in fresh they work great again once the new stuff gets cycled through the fuel rail.

Should be hearing the fuel pump prime with key on, I'd start there.

For what it's worth, one year when I went to pull the sleds out I reinstalled my battery but forgot the negative ground for my Power Commander. Sled would crank but not fire, don't recall whether the fuel pump primed or not.

Hi All, update:
1) charged up battery...just to be sure
2) check fuel pump fuse
3)noticed (duh) code 43 on the dash display... which is fuel pump issue.... so gonna take off seat and check for power and /or test fuel pump directly. and NO i do not hear fuel pump when ignition is turned on (didnt know if i should 'always" hear the fuel pump kick on...or only like the first time you turn key till its pressurized") ....... to be continued.... :)

Most of the time this problem will be the plug at the starter relay. Power for the fuel circuit comes from the fuse at the starter relay. Inspect that plug very closely, often the female connectors inside the connector block are not tight anymore.

Most of the time this problem will be the plug at the starter relay. Power for the fuel circuit comes from the fuse at the starter relay. Inspect that plug very closely, often the female connectors inside the connector block are not tight anymore.
Hey 74Nitro.... just to confirm: is the PLUG your talking about the white one between the two fuses in the pic?
DE654B25-668E-4371-A85C-DE1E2AD27FF9.jpeg

Yes, one of those fuses is a spare and the other is for the fuel pump circuit.

Yes, one of those fuses is a spare and the other is for the fuel pump circuit.
74nitro- ok i took off plug...it WAS kinda stuck and hard to pull out... looked kinda cruddy in there...and cleaned it real good, but still no fuel pump and no start.... so im thinking swap the relays next...(???)

74nitro- ok i took off plug...it WAS kinda stuck and hard to pull out... looked kinda cruddy in there...and cleaned it real good, but still no fuel pump and no start.... so im thinking swap the relays next...(???)
The relays really only quit in real cold conditions.
Use a volt meter or 12v test light to see if you have power.

Did you check fuses? You need to pull the fuses and the plug. Make sure you check both the inside of the block (where fuses and plug plugs in) and the fuses and plug themselves. The fuses should conduct and a simple ohm meter will tell you if that is so. The plugs should not only be clean, the female connectors should be tight. When you put it back together, there should be power on one of the wires (most likely red) and no power on the other with the key off. With the key on (start position) you should have power on both. (use battery negative or frame for the negative lead on your voltmeter). If all that checks out, then you need to go to relays. I don't have a nytro electrical diagram so can't help much beyond this.

Don't have a nytro in front of me but I think it is the Red/Green wire coming out of that block that then goes to the fuel pump relay.

Ok so good news!

I did check fuses and cleaned and tightened terminals as per above and still nothing. So I figured I may as well try relays. So I swapped the fuel pump relay with the fan relay just to see if that would get it going. And yep. I heard the fuel pump run and then turned the key and it fired up. I had read somewhere that the fuel relay has an update now and that it’s not the cold but the internal condensation that caused it to stick. So I’ll buy new relay and put er back together. THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED OUT. THX THX THX!!!

Ok so good news!

I did check fuses and cleaned and tightened terminals as per above and still nothing. So I figured I may as well try relays. So I swapped the fuel pump relay with the fan relay just to see if that would get it going. And yep. I heard the fuel pump run and then turned the key and it fired up. I had read somewhere that the fuel relay has an update now and that it’s not the cold but the internal condensation that caused it to stick. So I’ll buy new relay and put er back together. THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED OUT. THX THX THX!!!
Right on.

Back