• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

112 on radar, 130 on dream meter!

87gtNOS said:
rx1 fern said:
does this work on the rx1 too.

Yup, but I had heard that 2 teeth makes it too low....so maybe try one and run it with a GPS if you can.

I've only had one off on my Apex since I got it...on GPS it was still 5mph high....

I can tell ya, it's a lot closer with the 2 teeth gone. rx1 fern I took one off mine and same thing it was still over by quite a bit, so I took another one off and now it's under but much, much closer. If you don’t like the results, then you could always order a new gear from Yamaha and replace it. The fact that the speedometers are off by that much puts doubt in my mind as to whether to odometer is correct and as to whether anyone here in Manitoba could actually tick the checkbox on the TOD when they sell the sled indicating that the mileage is actually correct. I can say that once you do this, the perception of how fast you are going does go down.

Not picking on anyone in particular here but, man how many time are we going to rehash the same thing over and over, DM, max speed, Speedo pickup mod, etc. etc. etc. There's a search button for this stuff.

As far as I'm concern the DM (Dream Meter) doesn't count, if you want to know how fast your sled can go, then do it with a gps, radar gun, or on the 1/4 mile strip where they have timers accurate to the thousandths of a second, then and only then will you know how fast you are actually going.

speedo

last week radar running, I ran 104 speedo,100 radar on trail snow. could have run faster? not alot, but shocked as to how accurate the speedo was. NOT 15MPH LIKE I READ ON HERE!!!!!!!!!!! They are not all that far off.

who the hell cares about ODO?..LOLOLOL!!!

ODO will be LOW once mod is done...am i the only one on here who isnt afraid to test?..ive been riding yamahas for ONE SEASON now..and have done about every mod i can...I guess Im just not afraid to try things..

I DONT like things that work improperly...if you give me a huge digital speedo,and its 15mph hi..what the heck good is that?...geeees...

YES,it takes 2 TEETH,NO 1 tooth wont make it accurate!!!!!!!!!...I rode this sled at every speed with GPS mounted to dash,,,it was always within 2-3mph in low speeds,and 1mph at speeds over 100,which is where MOST of us would even CARE about speed!...

having an accurate ODO...LOLOL..still cracking up!

Johnathon...finally getting some snow heavy here now...North bay got pounded for 24 hrs and got over 50cms....near 2 feet since wed there..nice!..too bad it missed us..but we are to get 30cms from tonight to sunday here...Parry sound got more then us...SW winds cranked up that way lake effect heavy.

come on guys...try something on those stock sleds!...you can do it!

Dan :-o

Re: speedo

RTX DUDE said:
last week radar running, I ran 104 speedo,100 radar on trail snow. could have run faster? not alot, but shocked as to how accurate the speedo was. NOT 15MPH LIKE I READ ON HERE!!!!!!!!!!! They are not all that far off.

LOL..you must have a magical sled!....only one ever to be less then 15mph hi!...better not touch it!

LOL

07 Attak - Showing 70 mph on speedo, 62 mph on GPS. But in 180 mile run the odometer was just about right on with GPS distance. Just a game that they play with speed.

speedo

I didn't post to argue with anyone. Dan has some great mod advise most of the time. But because his speedo is 15 off, does not mean yours is. My case in point. My speedo is very close, considering other sleds also. the guys I run with, Poo,Doo,Cat, The Poo is within 3 mph, Cat 4 mph, Doo almost identical. So my point being? They are all 15 mph off? No, gps is within 4 mph on my sled. I did the gps thing, because of all this speedo hype. Now is it that accurate all day? anyones guess, but I just won't grind teeth off my sled and find out I'm way slow now. I would say, check yours first.
And thanks Dan for the handlebar wiring advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called my dealer yesterday and wanted the scoop on the bars, he said he got a e-mail as NO bars for weeks. It's 15- here today, No frickin riding either. Told him there would be a Doo in my garage next year, and now YOU have a fix!!! Thanks, I almost made a switch, until the fix!!!!!!! I'm just so sick of cold hands, wheels flying apart and replacing slides evry few days. But thanks to TY, I put slp wear pads on, and Poo wheels, thanks to sharkattack, and now will get my bars hot thanks to Dan!!!!!!!! :Rockon: :Rockon: :jump:

rapeape said:
Thanks to the imput on this site, I ran a personal best 112 mph. Only three of us were out, an '07 600 Polaris, my Apex GT and the guy with the gun. I made a trial run and hit 128 on the DM. I then tucked my poop in real tite, taped the throttle and held it for about a mile of slight up and down grade changes on a marginal condition state forest road. There were a couple of bystanders on F7's who were pretty much in awe. The strong running 600 was able to hit 98.

The radar gun was a funky thing with 3 inch tall digital readout numbers. Later in the bar a buddy told me that the gun seems to max out at 112. Any guess as to what 130 DM equals in MPH?

Thanks to everyone on this site for the good reading and tuning tips, my sled performed perfectly and is strong like bull.
Several times when we had our rx1s we would gps read our speed vrs speedo and my best gps was 117 w/slight tail wind and speedo was 130-131 flash so i think his radar is slightly off,and on all other new yammis i have ran my gps on they all and even include the viper speedos which are off the same and the rule of thumb seems to be from 12-18 mph but generally 15 is the closest norm,and my garmin legend etrex is spot on as long as i get 4-6 sats,and the radar i have tested agaist seems to read a little high,that is the radar reads high,and most gps read either lower than radar or they are correct most of the time,and i have been radar checked before when i was the only sled out there and they never got me at all,so there does seem to be some error in the gun,but there can be in gps as well,either way i feel you were running faster than 112 my guess is 117-118 still a very good run.

I have since found out that the gun we were using has never registered above 112 mph. Which is weird since there has been alot of big iron in front of this gun. I guess the gun is junk, unless you never run faster than 112.

Machzed, I never did the speedo fix because I never had anyone explain it as well as you just did. The next time I have my sled in a warm place I'll do the correction. Thanks.

Mod isn't for every one, I would rather have a more accurate odo, but then again I hardly ever do high speed runs or race others. I just would ather have a more accurate reading for how many miles I rode, accuracy above 100 isn't real important to me. Its too bad there isn't some way to get them both accurate.

One thing about the odo...since we know it was accurate prior....we KNOW yammie purpousfully built in the ERROR margin(+15mph)...its nothing more then them wanting the BAR ROOM talk to sound good IMO....

ALSO,i believe yammies since the beggining of time had this error...mY old phazers always were hi to the tune of 15mph...I just think nowadays with the HUGE DIGI speedo and GPS and radars we NOW want this corrected.

I highly recommend checking yours first...sure there is a possibility the 07s have been made more accurate...but when i came to this site,and got my first yammie in 25 yrs...I read a thread on speedo mod here...about one year ago...and it clearly said two teeth,everyone else here said NO,dont do it...1 tooth is enough...

so I PMD the guy..he tested it and said two teeth on his rx1..I took a chance,did two teeth on apex rtx..and then rode an entire day with gps strapped to handlebars...and watched my GPS digi VS yammie digi be within 2 mph at ALL speeds....guys think it will be off at lower speed..NOPE!

come on guys,that gear must cost all of 5 bucks...if you really dont like it being accurate then buy a new one!..LOL.

ODO,being low...well,IMO this is all good...better for resale eh?..lol.

one thing i just realized..everytime i did my miles per gallon,i felt my MPG was low....now i know why!....forgot about it registering less mileage.

at the end of the day,we ride lakes and radar alot...so looking down at 125 digi just was a joke to me....had to have it correct....but for you all who dont ride lakes or hi speed....sure it probably doesnt matter to you.

but this whole thread was about speed!..and I just figured Id help with those who really would like to stop guessing what the heck speed they are going!..its accurate within 1mph after mod!

there is a possibility someone could apply some sort of glue or silicone to 2 gear teeth,and POSSIBLY this would allow the pickup to not get the reading from those 2 teeth...try it!...test it!...let us all know!...

dan

Back