• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

128" backcountry or 136" intense?

McM

Veteran
Moving to a -09 RTX SE for this season and would like to complete basic mods like skis, track and maybe gearing before snow falls.
Re track I can choose between 128"/1.75" and 136"/1.5". Riding is ~50/50 on/off. Mainly flat land riding, no climbing but usually a lot of snow! Just can't decide between lug height and footprint. Help!

Mac

The 136x1.5 will certainly do better off trail than the shorty even with the deep lug track it will just trench worse. Its all about footprint!, Get some nice mountain style skis under her as well makes the most difference off trail in the case of my XTX.

Alatalo said:
You can go 128"x1.75" and 136"x1.5", but not 136"x1.75"...???

Actually, no. Well, theoretically I could, but at a higher cost and some wait. Track swap is part of the deal (trading in a phazer) and the dealer has those two left from last season and seems very keen to sell them.

I'll have to decide quite soon. Will be away 8 weeks for work starting next week and would like to have the deal and basic mods done until then. When I get back, the season has hopefully started and I'd rather be on the sled dialing in clutch's and suspension.

Re skis; had Slydog powder on the phazer, took them of for re-use on the nytro.

For off trail/on trail, I would go with the 136 1.5". Larger foot print will help more than the 1.75 track. Plus the 1.5 track will most likely last longer than the 1.75 for on trail use.

And I agree, get some good mountain skis. I've gotten stuck many times from the front end digging in. There is a lot of weight up there.

sleddingfarmer said:
And I agree, get some good mountain skis. I've gotten stuck many times from the front end digging in. There is a lot of weight up there.

What skis did you use on your Nytro? I kept the PowderHound's I had on the Phazer. Was quite happy with these but the Nytro is indeed a bit heavier up front.

sleddingfarmer said:
Plus the 1.5 track will most likely last longer than the 1.75 for on trail use.
Unless you are talking about riding extremely hard and icy trails only, I have to disagree.
I have used Intense 1.5" as well as Back Country 1.75".
I can not think about one single advantage of the Intense when compared to the Back Country...

Alatalo said:
sleddingfarmer said:
Unless you are talking about riding extremely hard and icy trails only, I have to disagree.
I can not think about one single advantage of the Intense when compared to the Back Country...

The backcountry does throw the snow in a buddy's face much better i find! lol! :Rockon:

Alatalo said:
sleddingfarmer said:

Alatalo, are you comparing at equal length? How'd you rate the back country 128" against the intense 136"?

McM said:
sleddingfarmer said:

What skis did you use on your Nytro? I kept the PowderHound's I had on the Phazer. Was quite happy with these but the Nytro is indeed a bit heavier up front.

I had C&A razors. They worked well but steered pretty hard. PowderHounds would be good tho

Alatalo said:
sleddingfarmer said:

I do ride extremely hard nasty icy trails so that is kinda what I always refer to when I talk about "on trail"

But on trails that have lots of base, and good snow, I would imagine that both tracks would work fine, and the backcountry probably would be better.

But I live in wi so thats not gonna happen...as much as I wish it would

I have got no idea about 128". I have had them both in 121" as well as 136", but I have never owned a sled with a 128" track.

If you are comparing tracks of the same length, the Back Country is superior to the Intense. According to my experience, it does everything that the Intense does - just a little bit better. Clearly a better forward drive in soft powder. Slightly better hook-up on the trail. No more cooling issues or durability issues. No disadvantages. And with the single ply technology, it is also a little bit lighter even though the lugs are higher.

Comparing different length tracks is always difficult. My advice for you would be to first decide what length you are interested in, then choose track. Never let the dealers current stock of tracks decide your track length. My personal opinion is that I will never again own a sled that is shorter than 136" as I have found zero disadvantages compared to 121". But this is my personal opinion, others might have a different opinion.

Just wanted to thank everyone for theire input. Today i decided on the 128" backcountry. No need for locating or building a tunnel extension is a plus for me in my current situation. Will change to extroverts and gear down one step in the process. Last season, one guy in our riding group extended his -08 RTX to a 128" ripsaw 1.5" and with updated skis, he could go anywhere a bone stock -09 XTX would go so I hope to have some fun with this setup.

Back