• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

136 doo/cat/poo skid in nytro

wizzard717

Well after this past weekend I'm extremely dissapointed in the off trail capability of my nytro. We got pounded here in michigan and I had my first real experience in deep snow with the nytro.I have rode ski doos for a while now and im very familiar with the rev chassis. My nytro is sad off trail compared to my rev. My nytro is an 08 thats stock except for some risers, powderhound skis and a cobra 1.325 track. I was getting stuck everywhere i shouldnt of while buddies skidoos and polaris past me in the powder. I have decided to go to a 136 in the off season and would like to throw in a skidoo sc4 or a polaris iq skid or even a 136 crossfire skid. Anyone out there do this with luck?? I'm trying to stay away from rail extensions.

wizzard717 said:
Well after this past weekend I'm extremely dissapointed in the off trail capability of my nytro. We got pounded here in michigan and I had my first real experience in deep snow with the nytro.I have rode ski doos for a while now and im very familiar with the rev chassis. My nytro is sad off trail compared to my rev. My nytro is an 08 thats stock except for some risers, powderhound skis and a cobra 1.325 track. I was getting stuck everywhere i shouldnt of while buddies skidoos and polaris past me in the powder. I have decided to go to a 136 in the off season and would like to throw in a skidoo sc4 or a polaris iq skid or even a 136 crossfire skid. Anyone out there do this with luck?? I'm trying to stay away from rail extensions.

Why are you staying away from rail extensions? My 136" Nytro works very well in the powder. I took it too Montana last year and it did very well.

Nytro has a steep approach angle... pullin the limiter strap 1 or 2 holes would help that, id get extentions and set the skid back to make it a 144. Wala your very own XTX. I got the rail extentions to 136in and it handled the deep stuff pretty good with a 1.5 in intense track. If your running the ripsaw track ur just asking to get stuck too...

Im staying away from extensions because I just feel they re not as strong AND im pretty sure if you take a factory 136 skid the shocks are mounted in different locations then a 121 thats stretched to a 136. I'v very familiar with the doo sc4 and loved that skid so thats what i was leaning towards. But maybe someone can steer me in another direction ?? I wanna run a 136 with a 1 1/2 lug track. I also feel the engine brake on my 08 nytro is not helping in the powder. When i let off the gas, the sled bout throws me over the bars before i can get into the throttle again doing a turn. I ALSO have timbersled barkbuster 42" front end which is very wide and very hard to pull over in the powder. I think i'm going to go to the nytro MTX a arms for more adjustability. what do you guys think ?

getn used to the throttle will take some time took me an entire weekend to get used to keeping my thumb in it just a little bit. The narrow frt end will help alot too with pulling her over. Def get a rollover valve and teather if ur gonna be doing that so you dont loose all your oil when you tip it over.... OFT has those. Im sure u could do the sc-4 but i think the skid is fine the way it is. OFTs extentions are strong and if you set the skid back you get a lot of benefits and u can use shorter extentions. Relocate kit from star suspensions 121-128in (which i think i may do next year) and the OFT 136 in extentions gets you to 143 in, close enuf to 144. Good luck with ur decision.

wizzard717 said:
Im staying away from extensions because I just feel they re not as strong AND im pretty sure if you take a factory 136 skid the shocks are mounted in different locations then a 121 thats stretched to a 136. I'v very familiar with the doo sc4 and loved that skid so thats what i was leaning towards. But maybe someone can steer me in another direction ?? I wanna run a 136 with a 1 1/2 lug track. I also feel the engine brake on my 08 nytro is not helping in the powder. When i let off the gas, the sled bout throws me over the bars before i can get into the throttle again doing a turn. I ALSO have timbersled barkbuster 42" front end which is very wide and very hard to pull over in the powder. I think i'm going to go to the nytro MTX a arms for more adjustability. what do you guys think ?

Strength is absolutely not an issue at all. If you install a quality extension you will never cause a failure. You could land your sled on it's tail all day and you will cause failures to other components on the rear skid long before rail extensions.

The geometry argument holds more water. I agree that you are changing it a small amount, but not enough to make a difference. I extended both my Nytro and my 2007 Rev XRS and with both sleds the suspension was smoother and handled jumps just as well. The only reduction was the sleds ability to catwalk however that is not as a result of being extended, just a result of being a 136 vs a 121. Besides you are talking about putting a skid in a sled it was not designed for and it is going to mounted according to someones best guess, so the geometry could be off as much or more then an extended skid.

I am also a fan of the SC4 mine treated me very well and I believe it to be a better skid then the one in my Nytro. So don't get me wrong I think it would be a great mod to do. I just don't agree with your reasons for doing it. I would do it because it's a better skid.

Another thing to maybe think about is the 08 tunnel is very deep and very wide at the back of the tunnel. 09 SE and XTX's were tappered up more and got narrower toward the back.

Yea, theres something about the sc4 that just makes me want to throw it in there. I loved that skid as it took the bumps amazing and was an awesome skid off trail....or maybe its that i just miss my rev off trail that much. The nytro is one heck of a trail sled but off trail, it doesnt compare to my revs i had. Maybe once i get her dialed in I will be happy. I found a great deal on a 136 crossfire skid which I think would work out nice but I really want the SC4 because I am very familiar with it...

how does the sc4 weight compare to the nytro with extensions? I have been entertaining this same project. This nytro suspension is heavy.

trade it for an XTX, best of both worlds. should be good deals out there 'cause of the crappy winter... + you'd get warmer bars, new front end bits and all the float in the powder you want.
I was up north 2 weeks ago and playing in 3 feet of snow in Algonquin Park, absolutely no issue, and i'm north of 300lbs. i was the guy going in to get other guys unstuck!!!!!

The bottom line is that the nytro skid has a very agressive approach angle and im not so sure even going to a 136 would help out that much. I really want to throw a skidoo sc4 136 under it but I dont have the dimensions to do it. The sc4 is a lighter skid also

I would do a poo skid out of a swithchback. Sc4 is gonna be way soft and can't revalve the shock like the poo. Poo's ride better IMO.

berge75 said:
I would do a poo skid out of a swithchback. Sc4 is gonna be way soft and can't revalve the shock like the poo. Poo's ride better IMO.
this is a good point..... there are some guys who put Cat skids in too, lighter. If you set the skid back youll help the bad approach angle a lot....

berge75 said:

where did you get the idea that the shox can't be re-valved? SC4 is the skid, there are several different shock packages that came in the SC4.

pok'r good said:
Another thing to maybe think about is the 08 tunnel is very deep and very wide at the back of the tunnel. 09 SE and XTX's were tappered up more and got narrower toward the back.

You are right maybe getting hung up on running boards, Didn't someone taper the tunnel or is there a kit (skinz , wrp) to name a few

Back