• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

144 extension

The main reason for me wanting the 144 over the 136 is that the sled must be able to keep up with a crossfire with a two inch paddle off trail. We aren't worried about being able to run high speeds down trails. I said 75/25 but that is for the moment. We would like to get into more offtrail riding somewhere around 50/50.

With the extroverts what size should I get? What does the stock sled come with? And Would sizing down one from that allow me to not have to cut my rail ends and also gear the sled down a little bit? Thanks.

Forgot to ask. Whats the part number on the outside mount kits for the wheels? and difference between skidoo and yamaha wheels?

207nytro said:
The main reason for me wanting the 144 over the 136 is that the sled must be able to keep up with a crossfire with a two inch paddle off trail. We aren't worried about being able to run high speeds down trails. I said 75/25 but that is for the moment. We would like to get into more offtrail riding somewhere around 50/50.

Well if the usage changes so does the answer.

1.75" tracks work great on and off trail. You don't really start to feel the vibration on trail till around 2" on most sleds. My 136"x1.75" runs smooth on the trail. If you want the off trail performance enough to stretch it out all the way to 144", going with a 1.5" seems like your stopping short. I agree with snownutz the backcountry would be a great choice they work well off trail and still run smooth on the trail.

I would say extros are a must if plan on spending 50% if your time in good snow. Without them you will have to run your track as tight as you can get it. For a 1.5" 1.75" track stick with the stock driver size, there is more then enough room to push snow thru and you won't give up efficiency that you would with smaller drivers. When you have the track/drivers out, remove all tunnel protectors.

As for clutching and gears that is a good, better, best thing. Will the stock gearing and clutching work? Yes. Will it work as well off trail as a sled that is geared down and properly clutched? Absolutely not. The more load you put on your sled in terms of snow depth and hills the more important gearing and clutching is. Going with a smaller top sprocket will cost you about $20 and can make a huge difference. I would suggest dropping at least one tooth on the top. Clutching is a thread on it's own but again it is the difference between working good and working great. ....you can also end up wrenching in the wrong direction with clutching :o|

....also add some sort of tunnel block off to the shopping list. Ice build up can get crazy off trail. ....and all that weight= :exc:

Here is the cole's notes of my suggestions.....
Backcountry track
OFT 136" or 144" kit
Extro drivers
2 Extra wheels for slider wear
Remove tunnel protectors
Drop 1 or 2 teeth top sprocket
SBR kit or something similar
Block off plate
4th rear wheel

I have a XTX so 144. with a 2" challenger. I love it. I dropped down two teeth on the top gear and will never look back. Its great. I run ice scratchers and hyper fax. Never had a problem with them and I've taken all my idlers off. I don't ride much trail but for the trails that I do ride the 2" is just fine. I also run Avids extros. My track is way lose it sags on the stand about a inch and a half.
Im my opinion your one or the other a on tail guy or a off trail guy. Ive set up my sled for off trail and its great. But it will also do just fine on the trail. So if you looking for off trail performance dont skimp. Go 144 and 2" its awesome. You wont regret it.

Since price is sadly going to affect what goes on the sled, I have been thinking of going with 144 extensions and the stock xtx track (found it for 300). Will most likely also add scratchers. Extro drivers are not in the budget as that is another 150 minimum added to the price, maybe another time. so the list would look like the following:
xtx track-300
scratchers 40
extension(tunnel and rail)-285

Also planning on the trackusa extension as it is much cheaper than oft. Is there any problems with it? what really makes the oft one that much better? As far as i look at it the only difference is the adjuster. Also by going with just a stock xtx track other than something like the crossover or backcountry there may be some left in the budget to get some wider skis. Any opinions are appreciated!

207nytro said:
Since price is sadly going to affect what goes on the sled, I have been thinking of going with 144 extensions and the stock xtx track (found it for 300). Will most likely also add scratchers. Extro drivers are not in the budget as that is another 150 minimum added to the price, maybe another time. so the list would look like the following:
xtx track-300
scratchers 40
extension(tunnel and rail)-285

Also planning on the trackusa extension as it is much cheaper than oft. Is there any problems with it? what really makes the oft one that much better? As far as i look at it the only difference is the adjuster. Also by going with just a stock xtx track other than something like the crossover or backcountry there may be some left in the budget to get some wider skis. Any opinions are appreciated!

Dude if you are making your sled into a cross over sled do not put a ripsaw on it. They are a fine trail track but they are terrible off trail. If you do a search on tracks you'll find most guys that ride in any snow ditch them right away for a backcountry, a cobra, an intense or something else.

Back