• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

18 or 21" High Windshield?

Gone Blue

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
08' Nytro RTX 40th Anniversary - Stretched
I am looking to pick up a taller windshield for my RTX for rides below 10 degrees F. Cant decide between the 18 and 21" tall windy. How is the wind protection with the medium 18" tall windshield ? I understand this is the height windshield that comes on the GT and MYX. Thanks. G.B.

whatever i had on my 07 gt was plenty, only downfall was the black molding around the edge of windshield would be in my light of sight. (i'm a short arse)

another part that may help is the wind deflectors above the headlight shroud & by your knees, if you don't have already.

I am 5'8" and could not notice difference between tall and medium so I got the fancy medium on now after cracking tall in a rollover.

I put the tall on mine, and it seems like the trim is right in my line of sight and I am 6' 4" I can look over it when I need to or through it when it gets cold.

Thanks to all for your input and comments! G.B.

xt_gt: I am not so concered with the site lines, more so on havng some protection and not having the windshield get in the way when standing up. Since I have an RTX, I have been considering adding the deflectors on the head lamp but not the knee ones.

Cannondale: Thanks, I would ike to stay with the 18" if possible.

nswsparky: I am figuring that at 5'9" I will be looking at the black edging on the 18" windshield.

phaze5: Sent you a PM

g.b, you'll be fine when you stand, it's stays forward some so it's outta the way.(isn't molded curving back)

unless you hang off the top of the bars during aggressive trail riding, some big whoops may through your helmet into it. (never had it happen to me)

5'11" and I have the 18" medium windshield and the wind smacks me right at the bottom of my helmet. I need to duck down a touch to get out of the wind on a cold day. The dealer let me try a 21" tall BUT the black trim was right in my direct field of vision which I couldn't stand.

Thanks xt_gt and blueironranger. Oh, I was afraid that might be the case with a taller windshield. I do find myself standing while riding aggressively and I tend to lean over and forward on top of the bars. I had an issue with my helmet hitting the windshield on my RS Rage when I stood riding that sled. I had to cut it down.

Maybe I just add the head lamp air deflectors and forget about the taller windshield. I ride with a MX helmet and googles and have been happy that the air from the short RTX windshield seems to flow over my head and does not try to push up on my helmet visor and rip my helmet off while sitting. So maybe there is not much to gain with a 18'" tall windy? This is only my second season with the Phazer and I havent ridden it in anything colder than 10 degrees F.

Hmmm, not sure what to do now?

Thanks again, G.B.

i myself ride with a mx helmet & am trying the sled with no windy this season. i have the powermadd guards with the race flares to help some. so far, i like it. have better visibility of my skis (for getting skinny thru the trees) & just feel a touch more wind on my jacket.
still didn't hit the sub zero temps yet so that may change.

Back