• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 rx1 airbox installation

Ployus

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha RX1 2003
is it just me or putting back the airbox on this sled is a real pain in the ... ? I can't figure out to fit it correctly on the carbs... Almost but I fear it's not tight on it enough ? Whats the trick ? Do i have to loose the carbs from the engine to pull them up to be able to slide the airbox on correctly ?? Thanks again everyone !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a bit of a pain until you get a technique figured out. What I do is:
-Loosen the carb boot screws really loose . If you still have the star head screws, change them out for alan head screws. They are much easier to work with.
-Remove the top cover of the air box.
- Place the bottom of the air box into position with the front of it slightly higher than the rear.
-While pressing the air box (boots) onto the carbs, stick your fingers into each carb boot from the inside of the air box and work the boot around the carb.
-Do this for each boot and it will pop on.
- You can feel the carbs bottom out on the ridge inside of the boots.
-Then drop the front of the box into it position.
I keep my fingers feeling the inside of the carb boot while I am tightening the clamp just to make sure it doesn't slip of while tightening.

Hope this helps

As Stomper said, make sure the clamps are as loose as possible before you start. Wedge a screwdriver between the rack braces on the carbs and tilt the whole assembly back and up and push the air box down onto the carbs as you lower the rack into place. Don't tilt back too far or you will pull the carbs out of the boots on the other side.

+1 on the spray... Even though it seems like there is more than enough clearance, a little bit of silicone makes a HUGE difference. Pretty much installs itself at that point.

I found that even when I tightened everything up I could still pull the airbox right off the carbs.....didn't trust it which was part of the reason why I put the K&N filters on.

Make sure the clamp rings are sitting right. mine slipped down on the airbox boot and was not sealing around the card. A bit of super glue on the clamps fixxed the problem

That is a cool idea about gluing the clamps in place so they don't move. I had a hard getting them to stay put when putting the airbox into the boots. I will try that next time I have the airbox off. Good tip !!

Thanks everyones the airbox is fit in place (i think).

Back