• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX1 vs 2006 Apex

This is kind of like the Firecat/ZR and REV/MX battles of years past but the harshness towards the previous models is unprecedented. Imagine what a guy with say $6,000 grand to pay and checks out this site for imformation thinks about some of the elitist comments on a sled he was considering to buy.

Jim

I agree with Lazybastard. The sleds mechanically are pretty close. The Apex/Attak is all about ergonomics IMO. I liked my 03 and I loved my 05. The Attak should be out of this world. You'll have great riding with whatever you choose. :4STroke: :yam:

greenmachine said:
This is kind of like the Firecat/ZR and REV/MX battles of years past but the harshness towards the previous models is unprecedented. Imagine what a guy with say $6,000 grand to pay and checks out this site for imformation thinks about some of the elitist comments on a sled he was considering to buy.

Jim

You see it as harshness? Perhaps, but I see it as a realistic response to the some of the less informed comments, about a sled that is a radical improvement. Marketing? BNGs? I think not. The 06 has made huge changes, thats a fact. I would never describe an 05 as a dinosaur, I put 2500 miles on mine, and it made me a believer. It also made a couple of buddies believers, who bought Apexes this year.

wolfie said:
So I guess you have wind tunnel analysis to back up your findings? I made my REV quite comfy with a fixed mount mid shield, and I ride in Quebec where it's often below zero.

I don't need wind tunnel tests to prove that if there is nothing in front of your body to deflect the wind then the wind will hit your body. If the air is cold, it will cool your body. Not exactly rocket science. Maybe for you guys that are less than 6 feet tall this is less of an issue. But for me it means I sit up like a pogo stick and get blasted by 70 MPH of 10 - 15 degree below zero Fahrenheit air.

This is a case where technology kinda sucks; you're hesitant to buy a new product knowing that in a certain amount of time a newer model will be available. The bottom line is this, the changes that were made to the 06 Yamaha's may appear minimal but they do change the sled significantly. Do the 05 buyers want to hear this? Probably not, but it's a fact of life :ORC

Do I want to see big changes to the 07's?? From my point no. But again, it's a fact of life..............

Huge/Dramatic changes?

Suspension same as 05 but this time upgraded for longevity, s/b warranty for 05.

Seat, if you want the rider position get a BOSS.

Engine efi, had one in 98 great but not enough plus who ever found serious fault with the previous engine.

Delta Box II, same as Vector, evolutionary but not revolutionary.

Bars and riser, could do aftermarket, years behind competition here.

Yes the 06 is a great sled but so was the 05 and to a slightly lesser degree the 03&04 with a little massage.

EVOLUTIONARY, YES - REVOLUTIONARY, NO the 03 was REVOLUTIONARY.

Jim

QCRider said:
wolfie said:
So I guess you have wind tunnel analysis to back up your findings? I made my REV quite comfy with a fixed mount mid shield, and I ride in Quebec where it's often below zero.

I don't need wind tunnel tests to prove that if there is nothing in front of your body to deflect the wind then the wind will hit your body. If the air is cold, it will cool your body. Not exactly rocket science. Maybe for you guys that are less than 6 feet tall this is less of an issue. But for me it means I sit up like a pogo stick and get blasted by 70 MPH of 10 - 15 degree below zero Fahrenheit air.

The stock shield on the RTX/GTs is a joke, I'll admit that. But I'm going to be changing out the stock low (useless) shield on mine, and swapping it for a med. or high shield for the north country rides this year. It should be ok.

I had no intention of purchasing a new sled this year because i wanted an ATV and honestly even though it is an 03 i really like my RX-1 and have spent allot of money and time to get it how I like it. However, that changed drastically when I test drove the 06's they are that impressive. It is a completely changed sled over the RX-1, engines are both great and with the added EFI it gives the 06 the advantage. When it comes to chassis and riding style, that is what sold me. There is no comparison between the 05 and the 06 they are two completely different sleds. If you haven't put any miles on the 06's then bottom line is......you don't know. I don't mean to sound rude guys. If you can afford an Apex buy one. If not the Rx-1 is still a great sled.
Just don't drive an 06 if you get the chance.

When it's below Zero outside all sleds are cold. I owned 3 srx's and they had zero wind protection. I had what was considered the low windshield on my RX-1. It was a warmer sled to ride. However last year in Muni it was below Zero on Thursday morning when we headed out. I had too lay on the tank because I was cold.

Rider forward has nothing to do with increased coldness in my book. I've also rider older MXZ's and they were as cold or colder then the REV.

rochmatt27

I've kept the 05 RX-1 (best sled I've ever owned), an waiting to pick up an Apex GT. I'll let you know once we get some snow how they compare.

I too am wondering about the changes, which is why I can't part with the RX-1 until I have had a chance to drive the GT for a long distance.

QCRider said:
Yamahnator said:
QCRider said:
My problem with rider forward remains the lack of wind protection. It will always be a problem. There is no way that they are going to put a windshield on these things that sticks up 4" higher than the old RX-1 Windshield because it would look like a UPS truck. Anyone I have known that owned a Rev said it was the coldest sled they ever owned, the Apex will be the same in that respect. I hope they figure it out in the next couple of years, because I will be buying one eventually, but this sled (and the Rev) were not made for the type of riding my group does. High speed flat trails all day long at sometimes very cold temperatures.

Have you seen the Attak windshield? That thing gives great wind protection.

How could it? It only comes up to my ribs!

Well sounds like you haven't even seen one in person. I can say that the RTX/GT shields are cosmetic only. But the Attack and ER shields are VERY functional. Very aerodynamic so the wind gets shunted over your helmet.

Simple solution.....dress warmer. I've always had a low windy on everything. I'm keeping my stock RTX windy right where it is. I have a heated visor and Coldwave outfit. I sled in a sweetshirt and am fine. Only once I got a little chilly, but it was like -40 below zreo. One thing to keep in mind, this IS a winter sport. lol

1CS

I think it will be interesting to see how the top end speeds of the Apex compare to the RX-1's also. You simply cannot get out of the wind on this sled if you are over 6 feet tall. I know there is more power, but I would not be surprised if the RX-1 keeps up and maybe is even faster on top just because of aero dynamics.

Change to the mid windshield and that would be a better comparison. Because I beieve you will have to lay on the seat, to cut down on the drag of your upper body and helmet. Time will tell.

Back