• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 Vector - loose rivets in exhaust mount (?) - what do I do?

4strokeluvr111

Please stay between the markers!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Bought a new 05 Vector which I still have
24K miles
I had an exhaust clamp loosen up so I had to dig into the sled to get it fixed. If you look at the two pictures where I'm pointing at a rivet, they are loose. A total of 6 of the 8 rivets are loose.

I drilled two out figuring I'm going to re-rivet all the loose ones. But I can't see what two pieces of metal, the rivets are holding together!!! I looked closely at the Yamaha fiche and can't tell either.

Can someone help me out quick please? I want to put it together today to get ready for a ride this week but if I put it back together with loose rivets, it's gonna drive me crazy!

TIA!! (can't find the two beer glasses clanking together emoji)

Attachments

• 51308.jpeg
    51308.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220226_155058A.jpg
    20220226_155058A.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220226_155105A.jpg
    20220226_155105A.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 107

It has worn right through the tunnel.
A few options.
1) Get rivets with larger heads.
2) If you can't find those, install washers under heads.
3) Drill new additional holes.
4) Use 6 mm bolts with appropriate washers.

It has worn right through the tunnel.
A few options.
1) Get rivets with larger heads.
2) If you can't find those, install washers under heads.
3) Drill new additional holes.
4) Use 6 mm bolts with appropriate washers.
REALLY??????? It's been like this for a long time!!!!! Wow!!!

Looks pretty obvious that upper hole is not round. Shiney rough edges show wear. Question is why is that lower piece moving around so much?

Looks pretty obvious that upper hole is not round. Shiney rough edges show wear. Question is why is that lower piece moving around so much?
I drilled out 2 rivets, hence the shiny spots...not referring to the edges though. The 2 holes where the 14mm bolts are were modified so I could slide the exhaust back farther to inspect the copper donuts.

Jeez........I've had the sled since new in 2005. I've had the seat/tank off several times to inspect things. Pretty sure those rivets have been like that for a long time.

Off to Menards I go again in search of steel rivets. I might have to use aluminum for a "this season only" fix.

God, I feel like such an idiot to let this have happened! :o|

edit - why is it moving so much? I dunno.....from ice in the tunnel?

I just did my 2006. What happened is previous owner could not get the two allen head bolts loose that hold the Muffler in place and need to be loosened to slide back the unit from the headers to replace the Donuts... so instead they drilled out the rivets that hold the entire assembly--and then they put inferior rivets in or too small of ones. Should be easy to fix--but get stainless rivets if you can or Very high quality aluminum ones

I just did my 2006. What happened is previous owner could not get the two allen head bolts loose that hold the Muffler in place and need to be loosened to slide back the unit from the headers to replace the Donuts... so instead they drilled out the rivets that hold the entire assembly--and then they put inferior rivets in or too small of ones. Should be easy to fix--but get stainless rivets if you can or Very high quality aluminum ones

I drilled out 2 rivets, hence the shiny spots...not referring to the edges though. The 2 holes where the 14mm bolts are were modified so I could slide the exhaust back farther to inspect the copper donuts.

Jeez........I've had the sled since new in 2005. I've had the seat/tank off several times to inspect things. Pretty sure those rivets have been like that for a long time.

Off to Menards I go again in search of steel rivets. I might have to use aluminum for a "this season only" fix.

God, I feel like such an idiot to let this have happened! :o|

edit - why is it moving so much? I dunno.....from ice in the tunnel?
i did my brothers 04 warrior, my 05 warrior and my 11 xtx. they come loose over time while riding. the 2 rx sleds where caught because of exhaust breaking back by muffler. i caught the 11 as viper_dave mentioned his was starting to come loose with less miles than mine had. the apex, i just replaced all the rivits as they where just starting to move. the rx's, they both needed some added in the foot wells as the 04 had holes but they where not drilled. the 04 ended up with 1/4" button head bolts as it had been done before and holes where too bad for rivits. i used 3/16" stavex pop rivits with the big and small heads as they are identical to oe rivits. a hydraulic rivit gun can be your friend for doing this job.

I ended up modifying a new exhaust support bracket, the one that is riveted underneath the tunnel, to fit on top of the tunnel. This provided a dual support plate, one on top riveted to the one on the bottom. Plus some 3M automotive structal support adhesive. Plus some other magic.

Here's the finished repair. Not pretty but it should work. Used steel rivets. An air riveter was sure nice to have!!

Attachments

• 20220227_160201A.jpg
    20220227_160201A.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 91

Back