• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Apex died

jakeho

Veteran
Hopefully someone can shed some light on an issue. I went for my first ride a couple of weekends ago. The sled is a 2006 apex rtx that was a demo and has 2500 km on it. I took it out it and was around 0 celsius and I cruised around a farmer's field next door for about 10 minutes and then decided to head for the trail. I got on the trail and stopped to adjust my helmet and the sled died. Tried several times to get it going again with no results (also no error code). I got off and walked back to my house about 5 minutes away thinking maybe it was water in the fuel and I should add some gasline antifreeze, but I didn't have any and besides that it wasn't cold enough to need it. So, I walked back to the sled and turned the key and itstarted no problem. Had a run for about an hour or so and did not have a problem after. I talked to the dealer I bought it from and he said there was probably just a little water in the fuel. Add some isopropyl gasline antifreeze and that will take care of it. I did add the antifreeze but have not had it out for a run since. anyone got any ideas what could have caused this. I am new to sledding and am moderately mechanically inclined, any info would be appreciated. Thanks

i was told if that happens when its cold to put your hands around it to kinda thaw it out from moisture to get it going back again. cant rememebr which one it was 3 or 4 of the relays it was.

There is no recall on the fuel relay. Normally when this happens, which is not that frequent by the way, you just need to warm the relay and re-install it and the sled fires right up.

But in this instance, I doubt it was the relay because he didn't warm it up and the sled was not brought inside to warm up. I suspect it was water in the fuel like the Dealer suggested.

Thanks for the info guys. But, I do have some other questions. Does anyone have a picture of where the fuel ralay is on the sled so I can take a look at it? Could it have warmed up enough just from sitting for about 10 minutes? What do you mean by reinstall? Would that be remove it and put it back? And, would it freeze up at that warm of a temperature? Thanks

Sorry I missed the "Does the fuel pump run with the key in the first position?" Do I have to disconnect the fuel line to check this or just listen to it? If it is just listen to it, then where is it? Maybe I should pick up a shop manual, me thinks. Thanks

You can hear the fuel pump run/cycle for about 3-5 seconds. It's in the gas tank. I have had my relay not work only twice. Both times in LacStJean, Quebec and very cold in the morning. You will hear the relay click and no fuel pump running. We had already bought spares that we keep in our pockets just in case. I also found out which relay, out of the 4, that is the fuel pump before hand. Then switch it to the outer position. Much easier to change there when it's -20.
It doesn't sound like a relay problem for you though.
I had a broken fuel pump ground wire last year. Something else to check if your fuel pump isn't running.

any word? See another post with him buttoning it back up. Im assuming its fixed? What was it....others may need the info

Sorry to keep you in suspense guys. It started right up after sitting for about 10-15 minutes and I took for a run for about an hour without any further problems. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post. I haven't had it out since then. all our snow is gone again but we are expecting another 10-14 inches on Friday. Will let you know if any news . good or bad. Thanks

jakeho I would not worry about it. It sounds like it was water in the tank. Always fully warm it up with every start up. When you turn the key so the lights on the dash come on you will hear the fuel pump(under the gas tank).(before you engage the starter) Always a good idea to listen before every start. Enjoy the sled !!!!!!

Thanks for the info everyone. Can't wait for the snow that's coming. I've polished that thing so much, Im soon gonna have the decals wore off. LOL

not to rattle the branches...but I remember some who had on and off starting problems...seems they store their machine in a barn and the mice had nested vetween the seat and tank and chewed on wires...
just in case the gremlins return

Back