• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 attak what octane gas to run

nysnowarrior

Hi,

I just bought a 2006 attak last week. The manual says to run 88 or higher so I assume run 89 mid grade. Is it ok to run 87 or should I run 89?

87 is ok, ul just lose a lil power if it starts to see some detonation. run mid if u can get it or carry some octane boost if ur worried. My dad has run 87 in his 07 attak scince new. has 6000 mi on it now and hasnt had any issues. does gain a few mph top end with premium tho, i had to know so i did some runs on the lake 87- 114 91- 117 same day same lake, just different gas

It's designed for 87 and there's no knock sensor so you're the motor won't "see" detonation (2011 was the first year for the knock sensor). I've always run 87 and our race sled is faster on the timers with 87 too...and MUCH slower with VP MS93.

X3 on 87. It is designed for R+M 87. The 88 that you see is not for both R+M. (American way of measurement)

Would love to be able to test the real octane rating if gas we are getting these days. Had some friends swear they got some gas the other day that ethanol in it, but was suppose to be regular 87. Gotta make you wonder what we are really getting at the pumps. Anyone else read the dynotech research article about being very weary about where you buy premium, as they had a guy bring a sled in for dyno testing and had just filled up at a local station with 92 octane. It detonated like crazy, they ended up pulling the fuel after finding no other issues that would cause deto. The fuel tested at something like 80 octane from what I recall....So, you don't always get what you pay for with premium. I quit running pipes, compression etc. on my sleds after reading that about our fuel, and having them seemingly running way hotter than they should be with the correct jetting. I have to drive 14 miles just to get premium, and if I can't trust it, why pay for it. All that being said, your safer running regular or mid grade since they tend to be fresher since they go through more of it than premium.

During season I run 87 in my Attak. Towards end of season I switch over to nonoxygenated 91. For summer storage I make sure all the nonoxygenated (10% ethanol) is out of the gas tank and just nonoxygenated with Sea Foam.

Back