• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Nytro ER for women?

kwcharge

I am thinking of buying a 2006 Nytro ER, the black and yellow one, for my wife. She likes the colour. She currently drives a 600 classic polaris with M10.
What do you guys think? She has been sledding for a while and is a pretty good driver. We do 99% groomed trails normal trail riding in Ontario.
I know for sure I would have to change the windshield to a high one but what about the suspension setup, can you make these things ride reletivly smooth.
I know there are other sleds that might better suit her riding style but she likes the yellow on the Nytro. I want her to have a reliable 4-stroke so this is what we have come up with. We did look at the new phasers but they are too underpowered in my opinion and I think the nytro would get about the same mpg, which is important to us.
Any thoughts?

After the M-10 the CK might seem rough on groom trails.
But if she likes the colour thats all that probably matters. lol

With the Nytro being a ditch-banger, why not look at a Vector or a Rage.... Same ergos as her current sled and way more plush in the skid.... My g/f loves hers.... :4STroke:

i know you could find a couple of holdover warriors kicking around though the color dosen't match. they did a matte black in 05. my only issue with mine (nytro) is the low windy and i have benn told that a rx low windy will still fit under my factory cover. the floats are awesome and for the most part all the trails get rough especially at the end of the day. great fuel economy and comfortable to ride make sure the front end is adjusted right it's tippy if it isnt. i heard that there is a factory bulletin to reduce air pressure in the floats to 50 and at that it sticks to the trail.

I used to ride polaris, now have a Nytro. My g/f says the nytro feels to tippy to her, but shes only been on edge sleds. The seat is also way more plush on the polaris sleds. I think I might try to have sit on a vector or something like that. But I know how women are, you get her the nytro and she doesnt like the ride but loves the color, you get her something else and she hates the color, but likes the ride. Either way you dont win....lol

My wife rides the same sled (04 600 Classic) and she hates my Rage becuse it steers too heavy for her likes. She says that they (Yamahas) are mans sleds.
She rode a Phazer and came back smiling! It has enough power for her and "Was fun to ride" I'm trying to talk her into an FX Nytro.

We ride Tug Hill so while it is considered groomed trail a lot of the time it seems like a snowcross track. I don't know about the power of the Phazer beeing enough for the open trails up in Canada but for the woods here on the hill it has more than enough.

srt20 have you adjusted the air press in the floats i did mine because i read a post in a sled mag about a factory bulletin and they said to drop them to 50 psi and now the sled is not tippy and handles like its on rails. i fact the last time i rode my friend with his xc edge 600 would have to slow down in the corners and i would pass him on almost everyone because it handled so well and i didn't have to slow down. he was fast on hte straight aways but not fast enough, i'm am totally happy with my 600 class nytro, i know its tough to say that but i'm getting used to it.

kwcharge,

Your situation sounds exactly like mine. We traded an 02 Classic with M10 for an 07 Nytro for my wife. We ride 'groomed trails' in Ontario too so we see a wide variety of conditions. Overall a good sled.
- well balanced
- steers relatively easy
- good ergos
- smooth and strong power
- great gas mileage (19-22 mpg)

Where this sleds need lots of improvement is the ride - its harsh. Every bump gets transfered to the rider - small and large. Its stiff on the small ones and blows through and bottoms on the big ones. So to make it 'wife friendly' you will need to spend some $$ and time. I have changed the front track shock and rear torsions to the softer versions. With some added tuning its started to feel better. My next step will likely be to revalve the rear shocks and maybe go to Hygear reserviors on the Fox Floats. These are good shocks but to get the proper ride height you sacrifice some ride quality. They have a fast progression so you can't bottom them out but again is makes the ride stiff. The reserviors should provide a more linear response thus giving a better feel on the small and mid size bumps.

I suggest a taller windshield than stock. We went to a tall wind shield (same as Vector) and there is no problem with handlebar clearance or fitting the Yamaha Nytro cover. The cover has a stretch material in the windshield/handlebar area. What you need to do though is open up one of the seams so it fits over the tall windshield.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Would you happen to live in the Kitchener- Waterloo area?

The nytro will be fine, my wife has an 05 vector, with nytro ergos, seat and bar riser, she really likes it.... on the nytro though you should set the skid soft and let the air out of those floats, do a search here, u will find what pressure people are runing to get rid of some of the tip....

you will love the performance and economy of that 120 engine....

bluemissile said:
srt20 have you adjusted the air press in the floats i did mine because i read a post in a sled mag about a factory bulletin and they said to drop them to 50 psi and now the sled is not tippy and handles like its on rails. i fact the last time i rode my friend with his xc edge 600 would have to slow down in the corners and i would pass him on almost everyone because it handled so well and i didn't have to slow down. he was fast on hte straight aways but not fast enough, i'm am totally happy with my 600 class nytro, i know its tough to say that but i'm getting used to it.

Yes I have adjusted the floats to all different psi. I do like 50psi the best so far. But its still a tippy sled. I will do a sway bar by next season.
But a Nytro will always feel somewhat tippier than a edge sled just because the center of gravity is higer.

did you notice in the fox manual that you are supposed to adjust the shock pressure with no weight on the ski's. and i do agree that my nytro is more prone to being tippy compared to a more conventional sled like my srx.

bluemissile said:

I adjusted my floats to 60 psi and it made a big differnce (was at 75 from the dealer). I didn't bottom out at all so I may lower it a little more but still debating b/c the ride was so good. I think I'm going to adjust the rear suspention to "M" instead of the "S" which is what it was set when I took it home from the dealer.

I love it though and it's my first sled and can't be happier. My girlfriend loves it also.

srt20 said:
I will do a sway bar by next season.

Where are you getting your sway bar from. I have read about others doing it on their Apex's but wondering who has it for the Nytro and what size you are doing? I am looking for one for my wife's sled. Lowered the front shocks to 50 and it helped quite a bit but she says it still feels a little tippy at times. After finally logging 1000 miles this season she says she has learned how to go into and through the turns better now.

Will end up long tracking it in the off season and a couple of other things then hopefully she will go a day of not complaining next season. I guess time will tell.

After much consideration we have decided to buy a left over vector er instead of the nytro. It probabely suits her riding style better, I was worried that the nytro suspension might be a little stiff for her. The vector at least has a real windshield but I wish it had the nytro seat. Thanks for all the input.

Floats set with skis off the ground.
I think Pioneer Performance carries sway bars, not sure which one I will do, prolly 13mm. The guys I ride with have their sleds really hooked up, and Im always way behind. I was always right there or leading with the edge chassis.

Back