• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Phazer compression

torkyolds

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 phazer
Hello all,
I am helping a friend out and checking out his phazer. He said it has been gradually losing power and idles rough. Unfortunately, the snow has melted around here so I can't really work it.
I did a compression test, normally I'd say it's really low at 50 -65 psi- prob 10 puffs, until the gauge settled. But these have a decompression system that fails? I've seen on here should be 200 psi wet test?? I'm nowhere near that! Wet test gives me 100-110. 65 dry seems awefully low considering it starts well. My compression gauge is a good quality snap on that has never led me astray. Doesn't use oil, but call me crazy, I see a tiny bit of man glitter on the oil dipstick?? May need to cut open the oil filter and unfold the media as I do on my car race engines.
Just think this is wierd, I thought the yamys were bulletproof plus this only has 8000kms on it. However, we don't know the hist as my friend bought it used at the begining of the winter. I also measured the resistance of the coils while I had it apart, primary should be 1.2-1.6ohms? I had 3.2 ohms. I would throw coils and plugs at it, but that's not going to help compression...
This is a dirt bag to work on, everything miserably buried.
I miss my old sxr 700 red head!
Interested in your thoughts.
Thank you
edit: can't give a % leakdown as my tester is at work, but did put air in cyliders at tdc and didn't hear any obvious

Last edited:

welcome!

07 where 1st model year and had counter balancer gear/shaft issues. quite a few members have experianced/fixed this. if memory serves @cannondale27 and @grizztracks have gotten into this repair. @Mooseman might have played with this too. i do know there was a thread with pics of a failure recently.

If you have the bad gears it can contribute to metal filings obviously.
However, I don't think it is in anyway related to low compression. The machine I fixed has been running fine to the best of my knowledge.

No problems with the decomp system unless the timing chain gears have actually failed.
The decomp just changes the timing of the exhaust cam to lower the compression a little. Never heard of that system ever failing. Only time it was ever mentioned was for the long crank and cold starting issue where the decomp springs would be replaced along with the ECU.

To find exactly what the issue it with your motor, you'll need to do a leakdown test. This should tell you if it's a ring, head or valve issue.

I once had a motor from a scrapped Phazer that had low compression and leaked compression everywhere. It had been severely overheated to the point that sensors melted.

What's the mileage on yours? If it's a low mileage unit, it could be another one with a failing reduction gear. If you do find metal and it hasn't completely failed, now is a good time to replace it like in that other thread.

With 50-60 psi dry compression test (on the particular engine) , safe to say the engine needs to come apart, no?

yes engine will need to come apart or at very least head off to inspect valves.

Well, I was hoping with both cylinders being low on compression that I was into a valve timing issue. The timing marks seem to line up dead nuts and the Decompression
F7952647-01C2-4BF1-BB72-C52858202789.jpeg
DE9E105B-64A9-483A-9360-E4E59CF5ECDC.jpeg
mechanism on the exhaust cam looks like it moves freely.

Back