• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 IronDog sleds

yukon yamaha said:
WHAT SIZE SPRINGS WERE YOU USING ON THE REAR SUSPENSION? (TORSION) SPRINGS...I SEE THAT THEY ARE GREY AND ROUND AND NOT BLACK AND SQUARE... THEY WOULD NOT BE OUT OF THE VENTURE LIGHT? AND A 3000MN RATING?

i beleive they are titanium springs.... i have them on my 08 nitro also...i took them off of my sno pro but i squared theend off so they would slide through the brackets better..jeff has his lubed up pretty good instead

Re: Feel Free to contact

nytro23 said:
I did the set up on these machines, feel free to contact me
if you have any questions. Won't change too much for next years
race. see www.nytro23.com

Could you let us know what sort of reinforcements/mods you made to the rear skid and how the skid held up through the race?

There has been lots of talk about the front end race prep, but Yamaha tends to build relatively weak rear skids and unless the Nytro is an exception, I can't see a stock skid holding up for an entire race like this.

Rex look back at my pics of the rear skid in the forth post in this thread.
You will notice rail reinforcements between the second and third idlers under the rail bumpers and the front torque arm is reinforced in a couple of places. There also is a solid steel rear axle installed. The stock transfer blocks are off many mid to late 90's early 2000's Polaris Xtra, edge rear skids.
nytro23 hasn't wanted to be overly helpful, truthfull, or open as to the mods WE made on these sleds in the past, I doubt he will be completely open now!
Yes, IF it appears there is some issues between us one could assume it to be correct....

I will add; quite a few times I was contacted by nytro23 and asked to remove my pics or edit my posts because he didn't want share our ideas with ANYONE!

I find his above post rather funny due to his attitude regarding this in the past and the current circumstances!

08NitroRTX said:
nytro23 hasn't wanted to be overly helpful, truthfull, or open as to the mods WE made on these sleds in the past, I doubt he will be completely open now!
Yes, IF it appears there is some issues between us one could assume it to be correct....

I will add; quite a few times I was contacted by nytro23 and asked to remove my pics or edit my posts because he didn't want share our ideas with ANYONE!

I find his above post rather funny due to his attitude regarding this in the past and the current circumstances!

Surely the issues you two are having can't be over sharing pictures of your mods or other info? If it is, that is too bad. Reading your posts as you prepared for the race was good stuff. Hope you can reconcile if that is what you want.

We had to scratch the third day due to one of the sleds over heated and caused engine damage @ -25F while going over 80mph down the yukon river.

Sleds were set up well and we were competitive, we had some issues causing us to tow the same sled three different times for a total of 100 miles before we scratched.

First time I entered an Iron dog race I didn't finish so yes you could say we did BAD!

IMHO Under curtain conditions the snow will build up under the tunnel and build an ‘ice dam’ about 3/4" away from the heat exchanger NOT allowing fresh snow or air to contact the single heat exchanger under the tunnel. The upper radiator is NOT big enough to dissipate all the heat the engine builds when running hard!

The snow conditions and temps were perfect for keeping the engine cool running hard. If we would have added the additional MTX heat exchanger under the tunnel this would have been enough to allow the sleds to run hard at almost any trail conditions we would have encountered. Team #5 of Wold & Spence had these and they were the top placing Yamahas AND the top placing rookies in 2008 the IronDog, They finished 7th. They did very very well.

do you know if the Attak heat exchanger will fix under the XTX??? I think it bigger than the MTX vs.

I have the one in the center

EDIT crewchief47: I resized and uploaded your linked pic as it threw the screen width off.

Attachments

• pp_heat_exchangers.jpg
    pp_heat_exchangers.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 124

Back