• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 IronDog sleds

Just got back from a 200 mile practice ride It was dark for most of it, temp was -20(F) and REALLY COLD. I got some nice frost bite! (didn't have my new goggles tapped up) I still don't know IF I like rose colored lenses yet. I have tried them a few times now in different conditions and I think I'll be going back to my amber ones.
Sleds run very well @ very cold temps.

I don't have a part # on the bearing right now. But I will once I get it. It is NOT a direct replacement some machine work is involved. Thanks for the comments guys and yes IF anyone has pic I have sent them feel free to post and Thank you for waiting until now to share!! Here are a few pics that I had posted but was asked to remove. I will add most these pics were taken back in Nov early Dec... so changes have been made. The blue sleds were our practice sleds and the white and black are our race sleds through out all the pics.

12-07007.jpg

12-07005.jpg

100_1593.jpg

12-07003.jpg

Wow!First time I ever got to see a what it takes in a race sled.Will be rooting for all you Nytro guys.My next sled hopefully.

Nice! Those things are going to ROCK!!! Best of luck in the race... :4STroke: ;)!

BTW we expect no BRP ahead of you guys!!! NO PRESSURE!!! :-o :tg:

Hope that you will be the first one to see this!!!

:flag: :flag:

Here are some more of Jeff's pics
100_1602.jpg

100_1605.jpg

100_1606.jpg

100_1607.jpg

Good luck team 23 and to all the others running Yamahas!

I'm confident there will be some more info on here about the better quality ball joints in a few weeks.

Little update before the race on Yamaha teams.
Yesterday I talked to 2 other Yamaha teams #5 & #35 and those teams are running Ohlins instead of the Fox Floats up front. They will be running one Ohlins in the front track shock position. (they were unable to fine a rear rear Ohlin)

It was pretty inpressive what was put into the airplane to get parts to curtain check points. The plane is a Piper PA-31 Navajo Chieftain and it will be supporting 4 of the Yamaha teams. The plane is a twin engine low wing 8 seat airplane that flies about 185mph (that should be able to keep up! lol) (hope we don' get too spread out and each need parts! lol) But if we do there will be a Cessna 185 to leap frog parts In the Navajo went 3 complete rear skids, 3 studded tracks, 6 skis, 6 sindles, 3 drive axles, 1 complete front suspension, 1 primary and 1 secondary, 1 set of handle bars with all controls, a few windshields, 1 headlight pod, and 4 action packers with individual parts. In the Cessna went some smaller stuff. Between the 2 planes there is an army of FX Nytro parts! One of the pilots said, "Wow, with all these rear suspensions you guys must not trust them, I'd guess." I replied with we all know the rear skid takes the most beating! My practice sled is completely stripped all I have left is the tub, exhaust, engine, and wiring harness. The other practice sled is 100% complete and sitting in the Yamaha shop ready to be stripped IF needed. (I REALLY hope not!!
We have never had air support and team #23 is going in with the attitude with we have not air support. We would be very happy IF we didn't need anything but our street clothes in Nome out of those planes! That would be great!
I will try to have one more update before the race tomorrow.

OK it's midnight I'm about to sleep hard for about 6 hours. Sleds are 99.9% ready! Topped off with fuel everything lubricated. Almost all of our gear is stowed on the sleds We have a few odds and ends to tidy up in the morning but simple stuff like making sure goggles aren't going to be rubbing and getting scratched, where we put flashlight and blaclava and such, but basicly they are ready! Here are some last minute pics. I will say we don't have the fastest sleds top speed nor are we the best sleds set up for tight trails but overall these Yamaha Nytro RTX are ready for 2000 miles of hell! (we actually go through Hell's gate!) Don't give up on us the first day as we plan to hold back and let the race unfold through out the week! There WILL be some teams that have VERY quick split times between check points. Remeber the story of the tortoise and the hare... If we are with-in 4 to 5 hours of the leaders, and our sleds are still in great shape, when we get to Nome we are right where we want to be! If we have fallen back more than that, well we have underestmated our competition or fallen upon some bad luck!! LOL If we are closer than that it'll be because these Yamahas ROCK! Trail reports are plenty of snow and should be a fast race!
There will NOT be many (if any) updates during the race.
Final pics before the race:
SSA53344.jpg

SSA53345.jpg

SSA53347.jpg

SSA53349.jpg

SSA53346.jpg

SSA53348.jpg

Best of luck with the race.

When you get back I'm very interested to hear how you make out and how the sleds hold together.

Also when you have time could you give us a little more information on the suspension updates. Did you reinforce the slide rails, pivot arms, etc.?

Your sleds are very well prepared. Great job.

WHAT SIZE SPRINGS WERE YOU USING ON THE REAR SUSPENSION? (TORSION) SPRINGS...I SEE THAT THEY ARE GREY AND ROUND AND NOT BLACK AND SQUARE... THEY WOULD NOT BE OUT OF THE VENTURE LIGHT? AND A 3000MN RATING?

Back