• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Vector squirrely

citoriplus

Sled is all over the trail. Have to fight to keep it straight. Ski's or front suspension? need some ideas.

when riding does the skis move around even though you are holding the bars straight? probably just darting, could be worn carbides, if it's darting which is what i think it is, you could try different skis and or different carbides. there are lots of posts on this do a search. funny right now as im typing im looking at a ad for curve xs skis they are an advertiser on this site.

Shim the skis and change the carbide to a 6 inch deuce bar by Stud Boy and try that. It will trail fine after that.

I have a set of dooleys for RX-1 Will thgey fit the Vector? And how do you shim the skis?

Firstly, is this your first ride on this sled? Or is it a recent problem? Check the condition of the carbide runners, you may have bent a runner by hitting a rock. Replace them if they're bent.

Next, check to see if there's any play in the front suspension, ie, bushings, ski spacers, ball joints, tie rods, etc. If they are loose, that can make things a bit hairy and unsafe.

Check the toe out of your skis while the sled is on the ground. The distance between the front of the skis should be 1/4 inch greater than the distance between the rear of the skis. The opposite can be dangerous.

I have an 09 Vector LTX GT. Recently swapped the worn factory carbides with a set of ATS Ultra 500 9" carbides. Result: Couldn't keep it straight. Made what should have been an enjoyable relaxing cruise; a challenging frustrating ride.
I swapped them for Sno-Tracker Extremes. WOW. What a difference. Rode the same trails as with the ATS and in varying conditions. Now I can ride 1-handed regardless of trail conditions.
I would strongly recommend the Sno-Trackers.
http://www.snowtracker.com/
Available from Yamaha Dealers or Royal Distributing.
Good Luck

how many miles are on the sled?. if over 5000 your a-arm bushings could be worn out, also, many on here that run there stock skis take an old peice of hyfax, cut it 2 " long and then 3/8" thick and fasten it under the ski rubber behind the bolt.
Doing that raises the front of the ski and allows the ski to drive OUT of other ski ruts, which are what cause darting when you drop into previous tracks, especially on hard /crusty trail cond.

I put on the Bergstrom Skegs and would recommend. I had problems getting a hold of them (one man show) but once I received them I would not choose another.

SnowTracker's!!!!! All problem's solved, And will not increase steering effort and make steering feel stiff from shimming. They will eliminate darting,hunting, tracking etc. And will bite in the corner's like nothing else. I have the aggressive version on my Attak with about four thousand mi on them. Royal Distributing has them and they were about $200. kviper

my vote is the piece of steel pipe cut down the middle and installed between the carbides and the skis (do a search for it on this site). my 08 vector was super squirrly- this fixed the darting and it now handles great. best part was it only cost about 6 bucks.

vector40th said:
my vote is the piece of steel pipe cut down the middle and installed between the carbides and the skis (do a search for it on this site). my 08 vector was super squirrly- this fixed the darting and it now handles great. best part was it only cost about 6 bucks.

What diameter pipe, and how long?

KZOOVIPER said:
vector40th said:

What diameter pipe, and how long?

X2, wouldn't mind seeing some pics if possible as well?

2"dia. steel pipe about 6" long, cut down the middle. taper the ends. drill 2 holes so you can install in between the carbides and the ski. i found this info on here about a year ago, tried it and it worked great. i hated the handling of my vector before this. now it handles great. there were pics of what im talling about on this site when i learned about it.

Back