• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 vs. 2010 Drivers

YamaMTX

Lifetime Member
Hello everyone, I was wondering if some people could post pictures of there drivers. 2009 year vs 2010 or 2009 vs aftermarket. I talked to my Yamaha dealer today about changing drivers when I change tracks and he said there are extravert drivers in it so why change them. He does do some riding in the mountains and has a nytro. So I guess I am confused on if I need aftermarket anti skip drivers? Thanks guys!

Here are pics of Vector '10 it'll give you an idea of what the set-up looks like but I'm not sure if ts the same on a FX Nytro...

Attachments

• CIMG0010.JPG
    CIMG0010.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 195
Looks the same as my 08 nytro mtx drivers. I think the high HP turbo guys are having problems with the drive shaft spinning in the drivers

ooooo......aaaaaaahhhhhhhh......... virgin drivers on a 2010 mtx se......

nice!

any chance of some close up shots of the approach angle and suspension mounting points?? Maybe some overall side shots too?

Thanks,
Murph

murph said:
ooooo......aaaaaaahhhhhhhh......... virgin drivers on a 2010 mtx se......

nice!

any chance of some close up shots of the approach angle and suspension mounting points?? Maybe some overall side shots too?

Thanks,
Murph

Sure... these what you are looking for?

-Earl

Attachments

• IMG_6598.JPG
    IMG_6598.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6599.JPG
    IMG_6599.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6600.JPG
    IMG_6600.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6606.JPG
    IMG_6606.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_6602.JPG
    IMG_6602.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 127
yep, regular non-turbo guys will have wear issues up to and including spinning the driver on the shaft. if you start seeing the "wear" prepare to buy avid's or have the dealer warrantee them for premature failure. if you have the dealer do it, you will be doing it over and over. might as wel drop the coin on the avids for piece of mind. ski

I have seen on other posts here that the avid drivers wear in. Now if they are able to wear in won't they produce similar results as stock? I also don't really care for the idea of possibly cutting the nubbies off the track. I am not against this idea at all I just don't want to regret what ever I decide to do. I want the least amount of problems when I go to ride my sled, I am not hard on my stuff.

i am not hard on my stuff either. what i i think happens is, the heat generated from the high lug track softens the drivers teeth, and they start to wear in and hook the track. then they get too much drive traction, and that causes the rails to try to spear the track (massive skipping and vibration).

the heat also leads the drivers to soften and spin on the shaft as the stock drivers dont have much of a retainer to prevent the spinning on the shaft.

truely the best thing you can do is run avids and a anti-stab kit. ski

The stock driver material just isnt that strong to be honest.With a properly tightened track or maybe a bit snug you can make the stock drivers live but at some point they will begin to wear down and need to be replaced. I even ran my stock drivers all last year turbo'ed just waiting for them to spin or roll over on me and they never did and actually look in descent shape. I think i can attribute that to running a tight track and im not easy on the throttle at all, i promise you that.

In the end, the stock drivers are OK, they do a descent job but if you want the best get the avids and be done with it.

Avid drivers are made tough. I had no spinning on the jack shaft issues and I can't imagine anyone else ever having any either. Make sure you measure everything over and over...LoL and mark the axle where you want the drivers placed. Magic marker can wipe off so maybe a hack saw scratch is better. Placing them so the driver sits just inside the window to the middle of each side is best so track won't wander. I loved these drivers!
Unfortunately Yamaha has hyfax heating issues that as far as I know have not been addressed in 4 years now. This in turn heats up your track and clips which will melt your drivers and then pluck off your clips. I think Yamaha are making a mistake comming out with antiratchet drivers before they fix the Hyfax wear problem. They are going to have warranty issues. What I understand from other owners is the boggie wheels are too small which puts more friction on the slides.

Ok guys I believe you that Avid drivers are a great product. I have another question for you. I am going to be putting on a challenger extreme. With the stock driver setup and stock track there are 6 driving points that I can see. With the new track and avid drivers there are only 4 driving points since there isn't much for track nubs on the outside of the track. What is your opinion on this? I would think more contact points would be better and and stronger.

YamaMTX said:
Ok guys I believe you that Avid drivers are a great product. I have another question for you. I am going to be putting on a challenger extreme. With the stock driver setup and stock track there are 6 driving points that I can see. With the new track and avid drivers there are only 4 driving points since there isn't much for track nubs on the outside of the track. What is your opinion on this? I would think more contact points would be better and and stronger.

I thought the same thing. The tracks are actually designed for a set up a bit different than the Avid's. Avids were designed afterwards to fix a problem. If the track is not tight only the extrovert part of the driver is working. This might tear out the windows on turbo applications. I ran my track loose and had no issues with windows except missing clips. But that was only after I melted my drivers because of the Yamaha hyfax wear problem they haven't addressed yet.

Back