• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex gearing...

Grunter said:
22/38 will give you 112-114 depending on belt..
This is the best for trail riding
you'll never pull 24/38, 24/37 or 23/37 on the trail...(=wasted effort)
I was geared at 23/39 and went by a stock geared apex in snow(he at 91mph, me at 104mph! - That's not a creep by - it's a fly by!)
For reference - I ran an F1100 turbo for 2000' twice and beat him!
All stock Apex's are geared wrong big time! There not even close!
Buy the chain and buy 22/38, unless your really worried that one person on the one perfect day might beat the one time in the year...anything else is wasted money! Or at the end of the year use 23/38 for 118mph top speed! This is probably as much as most best sleds, best tuned will run....Yes there are a few exceptions if you are the praying mantice type that anxiously waits for the perfect day, perfect conditions, tail wind etc..
Where is a good place to buy chain and gears??

Would the 22/38 work well in a xtx or is that the sled you guys are talking about already.
Confused because xtx and std are both mentioned in this thread? ?

Last edited:
IH8CROWS said:
Would the 22/38 work well in a xtx or is that the sled you guys are talking about.
Confused because xtx and std are both mentioned in this thread? ?

too much! and Id like to add you best have supreme traction for gearing down...

SO for a 2013 128" I should run what gearing ? Considering PC5, Airbox mod and Ulmer clutching. I ride in Quebec and don't want to make MPG suffer either Thoughts?

Stock ! The new apex has more torque then it knows what to do with alreddy ... Gearing down will kill your gas mi... I was running 23 /39 and it was a waist ... It does evrything better with 23 /37 ... and top speed was faster with 23/37 on a groomed trail... I didnt see any benefit gearing down ...

looks like a 40 bottom is the easiest option - keep the stock 70 chain and top 24 gear - gets ratio to 1.68 - perfect

Last edited:
Stock ! The new apex has more torque then it knows what to do with alreddy ... Gearing down will kill your gas mi... I was running 23 /39 and it was a waist ... It does evrything better with 23 /37 ... and top speed was faster with 23/37 on a groomed trail... I didnt see any benefit gearing down ...
x2, experienced the same thing!

glad this came up on here I was just wondering what the top speed could be stock gearing on a XTX as I have a SC on mine what would I do for more top end and maybe even more fuel millage???

I have an 08 LTX with stock gearing what would you guys recommend for gear change.I think it is 23-38 stock .

Leave it stock on an LTX. That ratio is a great match for the track/power output/needed traction. No need to re gear.

So what chain would I have to use for a 23 /37 gearing for a 128" Apex? what would be the top speed with this gearing? Thanks

You need a 68 link chain to run that gearing in an 11+ Apex. I believe there is a mph/gear ratio/rpm chart floating around the forum. I'd check the TY Tech pages for it.

One word.....TRACTION! Unless you have a ton of it, gearing down is like peeing in the wind. These sleds were geared taller than they can really pull, but lots and lots of traction is needed to see the acceleration benefit of gearing down.

One word.....TRACTION! Unless you have a ton of it, gearing down is like peeing in the wind. These sleds were geared taller than they can really pull, but lots and lots of traction is needed to see the acceleration benefit of gearing down.
I'm planning on using 153 studs on it for traction. I had an 08 Apex 1" track with 144 studs and it hooked up well. It was clutched, had ram air.

Last edited:

Back