• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Replacement Apex Engine Source?

Adaptel

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Vector, 2011 Apex, 2008 Apex, 2008 Phazer, 2004 Arctic Cat T660 Turbo
Hello All,
Does anyone know where I might be able to source a replacement engine for my 2011 Apex. Any leads would be appreciated.

What happened? Pretty rare for one to go down, unless you’re playing with boost.
Travis at Barn of Parts is a site sponsor, I’d try him first.

X2 on contacting Travis (@hibshman25 ) to see what he has available.

What happened? Pretty rare for one to go down, unless you’re playing with boost.
Thanks for your reply.

I figured I needed to address the growing engine issues with my much loved stock 2011 Apex, with 16,000mi on the odometer before putting it away for the season. It ran good (not great) this past winter where I put 2,000mi on it, but knew it wasn't running as strong as my two other older Apex sleds. Has a rough idle (lots of misfiring especially when cold), tends to throw a temperature warning light more often than it should, and uses about 10% more fuel than the other Apexes. I did a compression test with the engine fully up to temp and throttle wide open, both without and with oil squirted into the cylinders. My results were confusing and led me to believe (possibly incorrectly) that I have issues with both the rings and valves in various cylinders. I know my compression gauge is reading accurately because I checked it with my air compressor:

Without OilWith Oil
Cylinder #190psi140psi
Cylinder #280psi130psi
Cylinder #3100psi130psi
Cylinder #4115psi125psi

I am not the original owner of this sled and do not know its total history. I always shut off engine immediately if temp warning comes on, but do not know if it was overheated by the previous owner. I figured getting a used engine would be a good option, where I can then rebuilt my current engine at my leisure, but any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Those numbers are very low. Did you hold the throttle wide open while cranking? That would make a huge difference.
If so, you are defintely looking at a problem.

my 11 started running a bit weird this season. still running strong and fuel milage is the same as my 16. 11 has 21000 mi on it and i plan on getting valves done this year just because of how it was loping while idling at temp. i do run seafoam in the gas once a month during the season to help keep the valves carbon accumulation down. if you have access to a bore scope, i would look at the valves for carbon build up and check the adjustment on them. fuel is only getting crappier and more expensive.

Before I started thinking about an engine change I would also check the valve clearances. The valve clearances tighten up on high mileage four strokes to the point the valves don't properly seat and leak compression...if this is the issue causing your low compression a valve adjustment will bring the engine back to as new performance.

Before I started thinking about an engine change I would also check the valve clearances. The valve clearances tighten up on high mileage four strokes to the point the valves don't properly seat and leak compression...if this is the issue causing your low compression a valve adjustment will bring the engine back to as new performance.
Good catch Bob. The 5 valve heads had a reputation for valves recession and loss of clearance. This causes many of the issues being described. Including hard starting.

sounds like rings sticking
yamaha had a additive called ring free or use sea foam in a few tanks
do a leak down and listen in exhaust and intake to see if valves are leaking
check valve clearance
i have 3 apex xtx 11/12/14 all over 20000 miles and they run great and never adjusted valves yet
i do run sea foam every 3rd tank of gas

also i have a 2006 apex gt with 24000 miles i bought new and would die coming to stop that i did adjust valves and fixed the die'ing
its still stock and the fastest stock sled i have

now i hope my 2023 srx's will last 20000 miles if i get them

OK. Thanks for the great advice. I will definitely check the valves before going down the new engine route. One other question, that has probably been asked before is this: I see that several companies offer complete gasket sets for apexes up to 2010....but have not seen one offered for the 2011+ models. What changed in the motor during this year that made the gaskets incompatible?

Back