• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 apex is it really any better?

evil eagle

Expert
I sold my 2006 after driveing it almost 22000 miles. Now I'm thinking about buying a left over 2011 apex shorty or a good used pre 2011 apex. I know that they steer better. But I have'nt really heard if they are any faster or not. Both seem to have about the same actual dyno numbers.
Also I worry if the exhaust manifold will break just like the older ones will when the gaskets get worn.

Yes faster, by about2-3 mph. Ride height slightly higher seat. Power steering is awsome. They are kinda finicky about fuel, so if they start to detonate in the engine, they will preform poorly. A pc-v from ulmer should fix the issue(you do need to run 91 R+M octane fuel.
In your case Evil, I am thinking that the P.S. is the biggie.....and it is a biggie. For me, going to an xtx with 144 is a hugh plus also(after hyfax issues are addressed).You will be going from a 121 to a 128 track. Good luck

Apex's

Have both, 06RTX and 11SE, RTX handles and steers as good as SE. Only suttle changes in SE with a little more power. If I had a choice, it would SE with it's refinement, for the money a good used one

evil eagle said:
I sold my 2006 after driveing it almost 22000 miles. Now I'm thinking about buying a left over 2011 apex shorty or a good used pre 2011 apex. I know that they steer better. But I have'nt really heard if they are any faster or not. Both seem to have about the same actual dyno numbers.
Also I worry if the exhaust manifold will break just like the older ones will when the gaskets get worn.
I came off a 2007 Attak GT and am on my second year with the 2011 Apex XTX. I find it to be a world of difference in the 2 sleds. They look the same, but that is where it stops. The power steering is awsome and the entire sled feels smoother. I can really tell the difference by jumping back on my 2007. The 2011 also is faster. I am comparing this to my 2007 which we have raced several times. I would definitely go with the 144. I can also get a better hole shot over my 2007 which has a 136 Cobra track. Fuel economy is about the same. Only disadvantage is the gas tank is only 9.2 gallons. I just turned over 1500 miles and the sled is really coming alive. You won't be disappointed.

i came from an 07 apex gt the 121 track and just bought a 2012 XTX and the world of diffrence is astounding i cant speak to the 128 prob not as big a diffrence but the 144 with the tipped up rails is night and day love love love it find a dealer with snow and try a demo out.

Its not just the ps and engine stuff they did that make all the difference as those are the biggest and best updates, but its a lot of the little things they did to that are quite nice. Everything is better than the older ones I came off a 07 rtx that i stretched to a 144". If you work on your own sled the new one is much easier they now put 10mm bolts where there were screw before that would rust out and have to be drilled out. the seat comes off with 2 bolts versus all the stuff you had to take off before. Grease zerks all over that the old one didn't. Not to mention the huge upgrade in shock valving! I only have 1200 miles on mine but its by far the best sled I have ever ridden!

apex

I came off a 2006 and 2008 now have a 2011xtx the steering is the best improvement I like my 08 seat better but Im a short guy, mid range power is way stronger than previous sleds. I put a excell wheel kit on for hyfax wear and ulmer pc5, runs awesome and it is the best apex I have owned. I would have no problem owning the 128 ether I really dont need the 144 but it rides nice. The xtx not so good for running your buddies doesn't transfer weight good. When someone wants to race I say OK thet's go 500 miles.

Back