• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2013 Apex - Need some help

rcp1018

Pro
I gave up my 05 RX1 for a 2013 Apex. As of this trip to Canada I am very disappointed with this sled. My 05 would top out @ 113mph on hard packed and with 1200mi on the Apex I can't get over 87mph and the MPG sucks (13mpg). The 05 would get 17mpg.
Also, the engine braking is ridiculous. When I let off the throttle I get thrown over the windshield.
Is there a certain mileage when the sled will "Break Free" and become the sled I thought I bought.
Are there any issues that would affect both top speed and MPG?
BTW - both sleds are stock

Any ideas are greatly appreciated
:o|

Something doesn't sound right. First this thing should do more than 87mph, not sure if you are dealing with serious engine braking or something is dragging or hanging up. Hyfax, brakes, track alignment.... something not lined up. Was it bought from a dealer? If so I would take it in and address your concerns.

PVS is out of adjustment... also the Speedo is more accurate on the Apex but 83 is low..... but that PVS will kill the sleds top end and mileage if not adjusted after 1000 miles ...we average around 14 MPG. You will never see 17mpg on this EFI sled... and if you would have asked on the site you may have found out that all the EFI upgrades have suffered some fuel economy.

Nope, brake is NOT on.
Track is set at 2" drop at 22lbs.
Sled was bought at a dealer.
I assume PVS is Power Valve?
Where are they located?
Is it possible the EXUP is out if adjustment so soon.

rcp1018 said:
Nope, brake is NOT on.
Track is set at 2" drop at 22lbs.
Sled was bought at a dealer.
I assume PVS is Power Valve?
Where are they located?
Is it possible the EXUP is out if adjustment so soon.

The EXUP is the PVS... at 1000 is when they really need that first adjustment... the server is on the left and tank and seat will need to be pulled to do it... there is a VID on how to do it... not my best vid but still good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmS8m4h36yA

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 05 RX 1 was really only doing about 101 mph. Speedo was high by 11% or so.

Something dragging [friction] somewhere if "engine braking" is high and you can only see 87 mph.

Exup may be out of whack as well as Tom said but that does not explain going over the windshield when you lay off the gas.

My 2013 APEX SE with 600 miles on it radared at 108 on snow. My 2011 radared at same time at 106 mpg & GPS speed of 109.5. Neither has had Exup adjusted yet & the 2011 has over 5,000 miles on it. Condition's were hard pack trail with lots of lube. Loose/soft snow will slow those speeds down by likely 10 mph ish.

13 miles per US Gallon is not far off the mark for a Fuelie Apex. My Warrior got 2 mpg better than my Apex.

Take it to your dealer. You have one or more issues.

I agree there is something more causing drag here the engine braking was greatly reduced on the apex i think as of 2010 or 11 either way yours should have far less engine brakeing then your old one had. my 12 xtx feels to me like it coasts for ever compared to my 07 but friends still notice the engine brakeing but noone says it throws them over the bars. with the track in the air can you rotate the track? with no top end that could be the exup or an exhaust issue. but the extra drag is what worries me. if you dont find it I would take it in before you have a major failer.

thor452 said:
I agree there is something more causing drag here the engine braking was greatly reduced on the apex i think as of 2010 or 11 either way yours should have far less engine brakeing then your old one had. my 12 xtx feels to me like it coasts for ever compared to my 07 but friends still notice the engine brakeing but noone says it throws them over the bars. with the track in the air can you rotate the track? with no top end that could be the exup or an exhaust issue. but the extra drag is what worries me. if you dont find it I would take it in before you have a major failer.

New hot slides...?

Back