• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 Vector Top Speed

number1kyster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 SW RTX SE
We picked up a used 2014 Vector EPS with 9,000 miles on it this season. The sled will not go over 85-90 mph on the trail. It accelerates hard but hits a wall at 80. I tried a new belt, but it's the same.

Shouldn't it be faster than that?

Yes, they are faster than that.
Probably got clutch issues , unless
someone changed the gear(s).
I'm leaning towards this as well.

She blew a belt yesterday. With a new 8DN it's revving 8,300-8,400 tops. I can smell belt when loading it on the trailer. I'm wondering if the clutch springs are sacked out and it isn't providing a good grip on the belt.

It also has a belt squeal at idle. I removed the washers from the deflection bolts but it still sqeals.

On my two Vectors I lost top end from a number of things. What is the setup ? Tall windshield? Wide skis? Ski alignment boggie wheels spin free ? I’m sure your well versed in all of this but my LTX went from 107 on the speedo to 93 when I added the windshield and skis . On a snow covered plowed road I can still hit 97 on the speedo.

Belt alignment and clutch maintenance should be your first thing . I’m no clutch guru but mark the primary and secondary with a marker from top to bottom and run it . See how it wears off the marks . Change springs and blow out both of them . Make sure the rollers move and the secondary ramp slides are good . Find a nice setup road to test . One last thing is maybe change your oil. There was a noticeable differences when I went from 5W40 to 5W20 . Starting is much better also . With the rain here it looks like my season is over !

We picked up a used 2014 Vector EPS with 9,000 miles on it this season. The sled will not go over 85-90 mph on the trail. It accelerates hard but hits a wall at 80. I tried a new belt, but it's the same.

Shouldn't it be faster than that?
Depending on snow conditions you may not be far from being tapped out. I rode a ZR7000 a couple of weeks ago across Island pond and it was done at 87mph. Sled had 300 miles on it. Not ideal conditions. Ice or hard pack might squeeze a bit more out of it but similar to my 2014 Viper I had.

On my two Vectors I lost top end from a number of things. What is the setup ? Tall windshield? Wide skis? Ski alignment boggie wheels spin free ? I’m sure your well versed in all of this but my LTX went from 107 on the speedo to 93 when I added the windshield and skis . On a snow covered plowed road I can still hit 97 on the speedo.

Belt alignment and clutch maintenance should be your first thing . I’m no clutch guru but mark the primary and secondary with a marker from top to bottom and run it . See how it wears off the marks . Change springs and blow out both of them . Make sure the rollers move and the secondary ramp slides are good . Find a nice setup road to test . One last thing is maybe change your oil. There was a noticeable differences when I went from 5W40 to 5W20 . Starting is much better also . With the rain here it looks like my season is over !

Stock skis. Rollers and ramp slides are in good working order. Oil was changed at the beginning of the season with a Yamaha oil change kit. I do have the limiter straps pulled tight. I'm not sure if that would effect too speed? I'll mark the clutches if we get to ride again

The sled does have the tall windshield.

I rode this sled when it was new and I have personally seen 105 on the speedo with the stock windshield.

A fuelie Vec with stock header shouldn’t spin any more than 8150-8200 RPM. In an effort to keep RPM down and MPG up Yammy geared them pretty high given the power they produce. Lower gearing and better clutching will really bring these things alive.

At 9,000 miles you're likely due for a clutch overhaul, or at least a good clean and inspection. Clutch weights may be shot unless previously replaced.

A fuelie Vec with stock header shouldn’t spin any more than 8150-8200 RPM. In an effort to keep RPM down and MPG up Yammy geared them pretty high given the power they produce. Lower gearing and better clutching will really bring these things alive.
Sounds like we are over revving then!

Sounds like we are over revving then!

Yup, and that’s perfectly normal on a stock clutched sled. They really need a gear ratio more closely matched to the theoretical top speed and clutching changes to run rated RPMs. I’ll say it again, if you do this these sleds have the potential to run REALLY well. They never get the credit they deserve.

We went back out today.

WFO 8,200-8,300 rpm, 81-84mph on groomed trails.

I can smell belt when taking of slowly.

After 103 miles, my Sidewinder had 1/4 tank and the gas light was on her Vector.

I feel like there is something going on here. The Vector should be crushing my sled on fuel consumption.

My Nytro hits 9000 rpm and goes 100ish. Im not sure if the Vector still had the 973cc in 2014 though?!?!?!

I marked the clutches tonight. After a WFO run the marks were gone. It appears to be fully shifting.

My Nytro hits 9000 rpm and goes 100ish. Im not sure if the Vector still had the 973cc in 2014 though?!?!?!
No. A 2014 Vector has the same 1049cc engine as your Nytro.

We have a 2012 Vector that my fiancé currently can't get to go over about 85mph even with a clutch kit in it. We used to be able to get 96mph on the speedo out of it. For us, I believe most of the difference is that we extended it to a 136" Ripsaw 2 track which added weight and need to run the track pretty loose or it limits the suspension travel (a downside of putting rail extensions on a mono skid). It has 6000 miles on it so it is possible that the clutch could use some freshening up but I think most of the loss of speed is due to the heavier track and how loose it needs to be run. I have 23/38 gearing in it currently. The stock short track gearing was 24/38. I am going to try the 21/39 gearing that the Nytros came with. It is probably over geared with the heavier track so gearing down some may help. The change in gearing would be from a 1.58 ratio (stock 121" gearing) to a 1.85 ratio (stock Nytro 121 gearing).

By the way, the RPMs are around 8800-9000 at 85mph for my fiancé, if I remember right.

Last edited:

Back