• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 vs 2016 XTX

Wannaviper

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper XTX SE; 2019 Sidewinder DX LTX; 2013 Vector LTX; 2014 Viper XTX SE; 2013 SRX 120
I have a 2015 LTX DX and love the sled, but I have been thinking about picking up an XTX because I ride in an area with good off-trail riding. I saw a used 2014 XTX that looked to be in great condition, and a left over 2016 XTX at a local dealer. Aside from having a factory warranty, are there any advantages/improvements to the XTX between 2014 and 2016 that would justify the extra money? I would appreciate any thoughts, or concerns about what to look for with the used sled vs. the left over!

Is the 2016 a LE or SE? I think the LE have Fox Float Evol shocks, front and back. Some say the '16 also have some geometry changes in the skid, but I'm not sure. However, if you plan boost, the '16 motors have rod issues (plenty of posts about it here). I also recall there are some changes in the oil tank between '14 and '15 models. And the '15 and '16 come with the mountain seat. There are probably other skis as well on the '16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with the 16 especially if its an LE. Some difference in the skid, better chain case set up. As for the rod's some have issues but not all. If you are not going to turbo it then it really doesn't matter. I have a turbo and no issues after 4000KM.

Unfortunately the left over is an SE rather than an LE; so the differences would be whatever modifications were made in the sled between 2014 and 2016. If there are improvements in the skid and chaincase, and the addition of the mountain seat, those seem pretty significant help justifying spending more money. I know that there was a lot of discussion about "hot start" issues, kickbacks, and ECU flashing on the 14's. Is everyone, or most everyone, satisfied that Yamaha took care of those concerns in the 16's?

Mine did not come with a mountain seat but that's okay by me. Do not know of any starter issues with the 16's. The SE is great as well, just the LE came with evols all around.

I have a '15 XTX SE and it came with the mountain seat. But no Tuner skis, so maybe the Euro/Scandinavian models are a bit different??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget there is actually 3 versions of 16's
Spring sleds=15's except graphics and skis. Very rare and most of these should have recieved all 16 changes as update may have also had the valving changes.
16's=shock and valving changes most models,geometry changes some models,chaincase/shaft changes,15 motor
16.5's=All the 16 changes + new motor.

Don't forget there is actually 3 versions of 16's
Spring sleds=15's except graphics and skis. Very rare and most of these should have recieved all 16 changes as update may have also had the valving changes.
16's=shock and valving changes most models,geometry changes some models,chaincase/shaft changes,15 motor
16.5's=All the 16 changes + new motor.

That complicates things somewhat! Is there a quick and easy way to know which 16 it really is? Do the VIN #'s, or delivery date to the dealer tell the story, or is it a more complicated investigation?

I have pretty much decided to go with the used 2014 XTX SE rather than the 2016 leftover, primarily because I want to trade in an older "spare" sled, and the dealer can give me a much better deal on the trade toward the used sled, as opposed to the leftover. (Bigger profit margin.) The good news is that while the used sled has over 5,000 miles, it looks like it was very well maintained. The bad news is that it was traded in because it blew the chain case! Assuming that the chain case was repaired with whatever parts Yamaha provided/recommended for warranty repairs last spring, would it still have the same potential problem with the chain case down the trail, or would the replacement parts solve the original problem? Has anyone out there ever had the chain case self-destruct twice?

Many 14 owners were doomed from the start because manual gave incorrect chain tension. That and the reverse detent update. If it didn't blow right away damage was probably done in many cases. Now that those issues have been taken care of there is very few failures other than ones that were damaged from the previous issues stated. Since yours is all new and updated I wouldn't worry a bit.

Many 14 owners were doomed from the start because manual gave incorrect chain tension. That and the reverse detent update. If it didn't blow right away damage was probably done in many cases. Now that those issues have been taken care of there is very few failures other than ones that were damaged from the previous issues stated. Since yours is all new and updated I wouldn't worry a bit.

Thanks Cannondale, that's very reassuring! With all the negatives that have been said about the 14's, I worry about all the things that could go wrong with it. If that was all negative history its had after 5,000 miles, hopefully it is one of the "good ones."

Also the 16 have not had any starter problems. 14 did .

Also the 16 have not had any starter problems. 14 did .

The starter issues that have been reported have made me nervous with my 2015, and I worry about the 2014, but isn't that one of the issues that seemed to be apply to a relatively small percentage of the sleds, and show up within the first, or maybe second season? I am hoping that if the sled has gone 5,000+ miles without a starter issue, that it ought to be good for a few more.

The sled still has its warranty, but it will run out probably before I can hit snow. Anyone have any thoughts about things I can check, or that the dealer might check, before the warranty runs out?

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice!

Back