• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 RTX hitting rev limiter wot (venom clutch kit)

Buddy has a 2015 rtx with the big venom clutch kit (non turbo). he JUST got the sled used this season.

sadly earlier this month he stripped his starter and idler gear cranking it over in -30 + windchill, got that fixed and got the newest ECU flash then on his next outing after about 120km we believe his stator died as battery wont charge and is getting the low voltage code.

Before that happened he would hit his rev limiter going WOT even at speeds of 150 kph it would intermittently bounce off the limiter (I dont think it was going to go much faster then that either). his sled has 5500km (3500ish miles) this was on packed snow. track is lightly studded (2 in center which I believe equals to about 96 studs?)

I would assume the weights in the primary are too light? I wish I could report on whats on there now but we have no idea for the time being.

On that note aside from the issues were pretty surprised on the performance TONS of low end oomph. it beat our buddys stock sidewinder out of the hole up to about 70kph before it started to pass him (sidewinder has no studs but a much more aggressive track) 1.25 on RTX vs a 1.75 on the winder. this was on a groomed trail.

From what im reading adding maybe .4 on the tip would drop his rpms down by about 100 rpm up top?

I'm in the process of tuning in the same kit on my completely stock 2015 RTX DX, 129" studded exactly the same. I have been fighting hitting the rev limiter in the mid if I wack the throttle WOT from a rolling start because of track spin. If it hooks good on hardpack it doesn't. Top end is good, was pulling 8900-9000 on long pulls. I have slowly been pulling weight out of the tip and adding to the mid. I'd rather utilize the torque in the mid with lower RPM and keep it off the rev limiter because it's quicker that way, but YES it sounds like he needs to move some weight to the tip, #3 position to get it away from the rev limit up top if it's bumping the rev limit right away, but if it's after a long pull it's fully shifted out and out of gear that won't make a difference... also check what wrap the secondary spring is set at. Try 6-1 versus 6-2

Last edited:
thanks ill have to take a peek and see what his is set at! I know he does hit the rev limiter off of a launch mostly if he looses too much traction but definitely want to get rid of it touching the limiter in those higher speeds intermittently as traction shouldn't be too much of an issue at those speed on a groomed trail

I'm in the process of tuning in the same kit on my completely stock 2015 RTX DX, 129" studded exactly the same. I have been fighting hitting the rev limiter in the mid if I wack the throttle WOT from a rolling start because of track spin. If it hooks good on hardpack it doesn't. Top end is good, was pulling 8900-9000 on long pulls. I have slowly been pulling weight out of the tip and adding to the mid. I'd rather utilize the torque in the mid with lower RPM and keep it off the rev limiter because it's quicker that way, but YES it sounds like he needs to move some weight to the tip, #3 position to get it away from the rev limit up top if it's bumping the rev limit right away, but if it's after a long pull it's fully shifted out and out of gear that won't make a difference... also check what wrap the secondary spring is set at. Try 6-1 versus 6-2

so just to confirm he wouldnt be ADDING additional weights he would need to remove some from Position #2 and add it to 3?

somewhat of a rookie on clutching. I got some knowledge on it but I can get lost pretty quickly lol

Check if your running 6-1 setting in the secondary.
If so, I would add 1 gram in position 2 and try it. Adding mid weight can slightly affect the tip weight helping you get off the limiter, while giving more pull during trail speeds.

Back