• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 apex xtx 1.75 fox float 3

blown apex

VIP Member
Website
ristermotorsports.com
so i bought a 2016 apex xtx with the stiff float 3 and 146 1.75 lug track
im used to a 2011/2012/2014 xtx with star upgrade and love it
yes i have a lot of apexs (8 now)

what should i get
1-updated 8lb-47480-00-00 2018 air fox shock
2-elka spring shock
3- hygears fox spring shock

im going to be riding a star sled and this 2016 on different days
so i was wanting something compareable to star ride
thanks

Last edited:

I have the updated shock on my 16 xtx, it does ride alot better than the shock it came with for sure with A lot more adjustability to dial in your ride, but i have never road the star kit to compare, alot of riders upgraded to Elka or the Hygears spring shock for fear of the air shock blowing and leaving you stranded but they also ride better than the stock fox shock, Hygear shock kit is more beefy for sure but pricy, not sure if they offer the star kit for the single shot suspension yet, some owners have switched out their suspensions and replaced with Doo's R-motion with impressive results.

well i have ridden my 11 with nitro xtx springs without the star kit back to back with my 16.

the stock 16 shock is only good to save a weekend if what you replace it with blows and that is me being nice about it. the up graded fox shock that came stock on the 18 rides pretty dang well. only beef i had between them was that the 16 would not transfer, for me, like my 11 did but that seems to have fixed itself over the last season.

I have the Elka shock on my 16 XTX sold the air shock right away. The ride is nice but nothing compares to the ride of my 12 XTX with Star kit.

I have the Elka shock on my 16 XTX sold the air shock right away. The ride is nice but nothing compares to the ride of my 12 XTX with Star kit.

thanks thats what i wanted to here
i knew my older xtx was very good with the star kit

i dont want a flat so do i buy a elka spring shock or hygear fox spring shock that has some blocks that mess with transfer i guess

well i have ridden my 11 with nitro xtx springs without the star kit back to back with my 16.

the stock 16 shock is only good to save a weekend if what you replace it with blows and that is me being nice about it. the up graded fox shock that came stock on the 18 rides pretty dang well. only beef i had between them was that the 16 would not transfer, for me, like my 11 did but that seems to have fixed itself over the last season.
how did it fix itself

so i ordered a updated 2018 fox air shock
2 weeks later i checked on the order and they said nov dec delivery date
dec will come and probably be cancelled
so i decided to order the hygear spring shock kit for 800.00
i may leave that air shock on order it was 1/2 price of the hygear

how did it fix itself
well my theory is that i finally got enough miles on it for the suspension to free up. sitting around the 6000 km mark atm. got it set as per mr sled specs on his apex xtx. riding pretty dang good.

so i ordered a updated 2018 fox air shock
2 weeks later i checked on the order and they said nov dec delivery date
dec will come and probably be cancelled
so i decided to order the hygear spring shock kit for 800.00
i may leave that air shock on order it was 1/2 price of the hygear
Please let us now how the Hygear shock works out and how much of a task it is to swap , interested in the ride of it when you test it when the snow is back again, thanks

hygear shocks in my 2016 apex xtx
had to drill out shock mount arm to 12mm as per instructions
easy to do and install
i did it in 1 hour
wow it travels up and down very smoothly with lots of travel
ill set sag with cloths /helmet on when it snows this christmas as im in
southern ill now working on it

Back