• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2105 / 16 Newberry Area Conditions

Stu

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Rage
1-11-2016

Well my first thread post isn't much later than last years, though the reasons are entirely different. We haven't had enough snow to make it worthwhile to move my machine. Groomers have been running the trails for a couple weeks now, but I'm not sure what they've been grooming. Finally, we have a decent enough amount of snow to actually have something to report.
There has been about 8-12+ inches (20-30+ cm) of snow that fell since Saturday evening till now. The prediction is for another 5 inches (13 cm) before weekend, though there will probably be more in lake effect areas (Pine Stump). That coupled with colder temps should set the trails up nicely.
There has been concern with the swamps not being froze between CR 500 and the Falls on trail 45 and trail 473 between Caffey Corners and Trout Lake; hopefully by this weekend they should be froze up as the daytime temps are not expected to exceed 25F (-4C) and nighttime lows are gunna be around 10F(-12C) and as low as 3F (-16C).
Late start but we're getting there.

2-9-2016

I'll try not to wait a month between posts from now until the end of the season. That said, conditions have been fairly good for the past month right up until this past weekend. We had some warm weather (above freezing) that really hit the snowpack hard. The temps have dropped back down into a better range, highs in the 20s (-7C), and there is lake effect snow that will replenish the trails north of Newberry with 4-6" (10-15cm) over the next couple days. Couple of things that need to be noted though:
1. There is an active logging operation on trail 9 near Pine Stump; watch for trucks
2. TRAIL 8 HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY CLOSED FOR APPROXIMATELY 2.5 MILES SOUTH OF PARADISE DUE TO WATER BACKING UP FROM THE TAHQUAMENON RIVER ONTO THE TRAIL. With the cooler temperatures, the hope is the trail will be re-opened by this weekend. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
2-18-2016

Things have calmed back down and #1 & 2 from previous post no longer apply! Conditions have been very good as of lately with good amounts of snow over the last week (+9" or 23cm) and cool temperatures. This weekend may be a bit nasty though: tomorrow (Friday) the temperature is suppose to get above freezing with rain and not supposed to get back below freezing until late Saturday. The temps are supposed to stay cooler for a while after that, but the damage may already be done with loss of snowpack and icy conditions on the trails (especially in the corners). We'll have to see how this forecast pans out...

How are the conditions up there? I have a group coming up to Ishpeming Wednesday and we are going to say the nifght and ride to bay mills thursday and stay the night and head back to ishpeming via different route friday. Will that be possible? Thanks for any info. Chad

2-22-2016

Well as feared the rain came late on Friday and stayed through the day on Saturday. Saturday evening everything froze back up to an icy, bumpy mess. We're still below freezing but with no new snow the trails are a bit rough and icy at best. There isn't much for snow in the forecast for the next 10 days but at least the temps are going to stay cool, keeping conditions from getting worse. Chad, I believe your route to be possible. The trails won't be in tip-top shape but you shouldn't have any trouble getting through.

Thanks for the update Stu. My buddies have changed our plans a bit and we are going to stay by lake gogibic and ride up to copper harbor and stay in houghton/hanckok. We hope that things work out better for next year. Just bad timing for us. We all had this week off. Thanks again. Chad

Trailered to Newberry on Sunday 2/21/16. Just as Stu said: Trails were S**T. Met the groomer just outside of NW Newberry. Coming from SW (I forget the trail number - don't it LOL). It wasn't doing anything for the trails either. Rode from Newberry to Grand Marais, then back through Pine Stump. Best spot was about 5 miles or so towards the fork at Seney - still rough though. EVERYTHING was frozen and N A S T Y. Actually adjusted my transfer rod to full soft (rear) for the first time in years. You really had to lean-back, hang-on, and power through to stay up-right - LOL. What a work-out though. HOWEVER, met the groomer on 8 at H-58 in GM - coming from Shingleton. Looked like he was making progress as the temps were a bit warmer (not much) the snow was loosening-up and flattening-out. Now it's off to inspect the skid for next week.

Trails from Houghton to sidnaw were very good yesterday morning. we were the first ones on the trails. Put gas in at sidnaw then doubled back and went to big bay and the trails were excellent.

3-2-2016

Well we've stayed back below freezing for a little while and have had a blessing of fresh snow to groom so the trails are back in good working order. That being said, this may be the last weekend to get any good riding, at least for the foreseeable future. The temperatures are supposed to climb above freezing on Sunday and not supposed to even get below freezing again until next Friday night! Even then, it's supposed to have highs in the 40s (4C) through next weekend into the following week. This could be the end for this year.

3-9-2016

As predicted, the weather has turned warm. We've had rain twice so far this week, and it hasn't been below freezing since Sunday. The local club has stopped grooming the trails and doesn't plan to start again (until next winter). The dog bombs are already visible in my yard! Unless we have a huge drop in temps and massive amount of snowfall between now and, say, the end of April: we're through. Short year, but I guess they can't all be like last winter where we had snow right up until May!

Back